Radeon VII causing slower UI/Playback Resolve 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

joncoy

Radeon VII causing slower UI/Playback Resolve 15

PostFri May 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I've run into a strange issue that I hope to fix up soon.

I recently swapped out an RTX 2070 for a Radeon VII, but I'm finding that not only do my media files, thumbnails, and Resolve tabs open more slowly now, but playback lags a little while working with fairly easy codecs and only a few basic corrections and some OpenFX like glow and sharpening.

I used DDU to fully uninstall Nvidia drivers from my computer and used CCleaner to clean up the registry. I then installed the Radeon drivers and all seemed well. However, I did notice that my computer (which boots from SATA III SSD) takes a few seconds longer.

And then in Resolve preferences, I made sure I was running OpenCL and selected the Radeon for compute.

But, something seems to be amiss since I'm now getting slower UI performance and slower media loading. I'm also getting occasional playback stutter that didn't exist with the RTX 2070.

EDIT: I'm running AMD's 19.5.1 driver.

In addition, I fully uninstalled Desktop Video (I'm running a Decklink Mini Monitor 4K to a ref monitor) and Resolve, and then reinstalled Desktop Video and the latest version of 15 (15.3.1). This did not solve the lag issues.

My system:
Asus B350 Plus mobo
Ryzen 7 1700
32 GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz RAM
Radeon VII (previously RTX 2070)
Samsung SATA III boot/app drive
Kingston SATA III SSD for media
Decklink mini monitor 4K

MishaEngel

Re: Radeon VII causing slower UI/Playback Resolve 15

PostFri May 17, 2019 9:24 pm

Check your drive for errors and optimize (trim) them afterwards(when there are no errors, otherwise first fix the errors).

https://pureinfotech.com/fix-hard-drive-problems-windows-10/

joncoy

PostFri May 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Thanks MishaEngel, I'll give that a shot real quick! I'll report back.

joncoy

PostFri May 17, 2019 9:39 pm

All drives scanned for errors--no errors found. I still went ahead and optimized all drives in the system.

Problem persists. When the Resolve project opens and I switch to the edit tab, it takes about :35 to :45 for an image to pop up on the record monitor from the playhead. Really unusual behavior.

General playback with color adjustments and OpenFX plug-ins seems to be running smoothly with h.264 and RED 5K on the edit page, but in the Color tab, I get a lag or even stutter at edit points that I wasn't noticeably getting with the RTX 2070.

I'll keep playing around, see what I can come up with.

joncoy

PostFri May 17, 2019 9:41 pm

I should also add that I haven't been using render cache or optimized media for this particular test, since the footage I'm using for the test previous ran beautifully without these optimizations. Maybe I'm just being too picky, but the slow GUI response and slow image loading concerns me.

MishaEngel

PostSat May 18, 2019 12:36 am

The Radeon VII is fast enough to handle 8k.R3D 5:1 at 30+fps debayering speed.
I don't think the Radeon is the problem with .R3D.

DR15 doesn't support AMD VCE h.264 decoding (DR16 does), DR15 does support NVdec h.264, how is the CPU load with h.264?

CCleaner can be very aggresive and sometimes it cleans more than you want (happened to me, I don't use it anymore).

joncoy

PostSat May 18, 2019 1:37 am

CPU usage seems moderate (about 35% load).

I switched over to 16 beta today just to see how the AMD GPU decoding would assist. Playback seems perfect on the edit tab. CPU usage around 9% while GPU sits around 6% on playback.

Is it normal for the loading of the UI on the Color tab to lag things a little bit at each edit point? This seems to have happened to me from version 12 on.

I'm also noticing a general lagging effect when I scrub through footage using the jog keys. This seems to happen from any hard drive I use for the media storage, and it's also something that used to work more smoothly when I had the RTX 2070 installed.

Again, I still have the issue of media taking about 35 seconds after the project loads before I can actually see and play anything on the timeline. This wasn't happening before I switched GPUs and drivers.

I didn't know that about CCleaner, that's good to know.

MishaEngel

PostSat May 18, 2019 12:57 pm

When your CPU and GPU loads are so low I get the idea that windows is missing some important files.
Or that the register of windows is broken, to many broken shortcuts, etc..

I use Glary utilities to find and fix those kind of things and it works for our windows computers.
When to many files are missing, nothing but a full clean install of windows will help.

joncoy

PostSat May 18, 2019 2:40 pm

That makes sense, and it does seem like the only real cause of my problems.

I've downloaded Glary and am finding a lot of issues in the registry. I'll use this software from now on and report back on how Windows is doing. Hopefully I won't need to clean install.

joncoy

PostSat May 18, 2019 3:03 pm

After cleaning up the registry and Windows files, I went from a 23 second reboot to 17 seconds. Things are moving smoothly! Thank you for the tip about Glary.

I tracked the times for Resolve boot as well as media loading. Before the Glary cleanup, Resolve was taking about 40 sec to boot to the Project page and now hits that in 28 sec. Previously, for the media to become visible either in the media tab or the edit tab, it took about 45 sec. Now it's getting there at 14 sec.

Much, much better than before. Unfortunately, after something pops up in the record monitor of the edit tab, I still see a significant lag from hitting play to when some video actually spools up--about 15 to 20 seconds. And it's still occasionally hanging on playback then catching up.

However, I am able to scrub through the footage with the jog keys smoothly now without hiccups or stalling. This is with all color nodes still enabled, by the way.

Am I looking at sudden hard drive and I/O issues here?

MishaEngel

PostSat May 18, 2019 3:17 pm

joncoy wrote:Am I looking at sudden hard drive and I/O issues here?

Looks like it.

joncoy

PostSun May 19, 2019 7:47 pm

UPDATE:

I have run Glary's tools for cleaning up Windows file system, registry, disk cleanup, etc. The PC itself runs beautifully, and other programs seem to have no trouble accessing data from all drives, including various USB external drives.

However, Resolve still has trouble communicating with internal and external drives to load up media onto edit and color tabs (the whole software, really).

I have also performed sfc /scannow Windows file integrity scans and have found no errors. I have also found no errors on any drives and have optimized them all. I have also run AJA's System Disk Check to make sure all drives are reading/writing (not including disk cache), and all seems fine there.

To reiterate, this is all running on same hardware from a week ago EXCEPT new GPU, and things ran perfectly fine with no lagging issues previously (except a sound issue, which I'll mention).

Is any of this possibly an issue with Radeon VII being so new and both Resolve 15.3.1 and 16 beta 2 not being optimized for Vega II hardware, or am I missing something?

As well, I am also experiencing an issue where I have sound on the timeline, the track is NOT muted, the entire sound mixer is NOT muted or turned down, and my correct audio output is selected in Resolve preferences, and sometimes I can't get audio playback. Restarting Resolve usually fixes it.

Feeling more and more like bugs the more I test it. Just can't figure out why Resolve is lagging on media loading.

Return to DaVinci Resolve