Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder Installation Trouble

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

kfin111

Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder Installation Trouble

PostFri May 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m having some trouble installing the Desktop Video 11.1 software/drivers for the Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder and wondering if anyone can help.

I’m on a Macbook pro in OSX Mojave 10.14.4 and whenever I try to install I get prompted to click allow in Security and Privacy, however there is no allow option like I usually see with other installations. Here is a screenshot of what I'm referring to:

If I click 'Continue' the same prompt returns, and if I click 'Ignore' the installation fails.

I’ve tried uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling, and restarting a number of times now with the same issue recurring each time.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks very much.

Brad Hurley

Re: Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder Installation Troubl

PostSat May 18, 2019 9:26 am

The "allow" option in this case isn't in the dialog box, but rather in your security and privacy settings on the Mac. While the installer is running and you get that message shown in your screen shot above, go to System Preferences, Security and Privacy, click on the Privacy tab, and click the checkbox to allow this app to control your computer. Then go back to the installer and click "continue." That should work (at least it did for me on my computer running Mojave).
Resolve 15, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

kfin111

Re: Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder Installation Troubl

PostSat May 18, 2019 11:31 am

Hi Brad, thanks for the reply. On the right side of the first screenshot, it’s showing the system preferences > security and privacy screen with the allow option missing. That’s what I meant to explain. (I thought it might be more efficient to bundle it in with that screenshot, but I realize that makes it easy to miss now, my bad)

One small update, I discovered you can disable Gatekeeper (the need to ‘allow’ apps entirely) via terminal, so I did that hopeful it would resolve this, but the installation still hangs waiting for allow approval. Seems like there might be a bug of some sort.

Return to Getting Started