Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

ryancheng2000

  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:37 am
  • Location: Hong Kong

Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 7:55 am

I don't know anyone have the same issue here.
My office just purchase the new machine Mac Pro 2013 with display card update to D700. it's seem run well at beginning. However after adding few simple node and a tracker, Davinci Resolve just hang the preview screen and do nothing. I can't quit the software nor shut the computer until I use the hard boot method. :?

It's very weird that the davinci resolve run well (although very slow) in my old machine iMac but not in Mac Pro.
is that the firmware or davinci resolve 10 not suitable to the AMD FirePro D700 display card or ... other issue i don't know? :?:

thanks for reading.
Offline

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 1271
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 2:06 pm

ryancheng2000 wrote:I don't know anyone have the same issue here.
My office just purchase the new machine Mac Pro 2013 with display card update to D700. it's seem run well at beginning. However after adding few simple node and a tracker, Davinci Resolve just hang the preview screen and do nothing. I can't quit the software nor shut the computer until I use the hard boot method. :?

It's very weird that the davinci resolve run well (although very slow) in my old machine iMac but not in Mac Pro.
is that the firmware or davinci resolve 10 not suitable to the AMD FirePro D700 display card or ... other issue i don't know? :?:

thanks for reading.


Known issue with 10.9.3 if you can go back to 10.9.2, that's best else wait for 10.9.4 or get the latest beta.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design
Offline
User avatar

ryancheng2000

  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:37 am
  • Location: Hong Kong

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostSun Jun 15, 2014 5:53 am

*Updated*
Hang and problem still here! Preview window totally hang and software need Force quit and the computer need hard booting.

I think BM Group better to make a patch to fix this issue, or release the Davinci Resolve 11 earlier. My work totally get stuck after this issue. :oops:


Original Message----------------

Thanks for prompt reply Rohit,

I just update to 10.9.4 beta, since it's no clue to downgrade to 10.9.2. It's looks like problem fixed and i still testing it. But at lease the software still working.

FYI for anyone have the same issue with me, Here is the link to download 10.9.4 Beta from apple official web : http://goo.gl/K4J4OK (copy paste link on your web browser)

article from : http://www.techglobex.net/2014/05/downl ... -13e9.html

------------------------------
Offline

Adelluva

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostMon Jun 16, 2014 3:06 pm

I'm a bit tentative to upgrade to the 10.9.4 Beta, as it may come with it's own problems (although it it is hard to see things degrading further). Seeing as though you have already taken the plunge, can you update us as to the efficacy of the beta? Is Davinci working?
Offline
User avatar

ryancheng2000

  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:37 am
  • Location: Hong Kong

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostMon Jun 16, 2014 6:59 pm

Adelluva wrote:I'm a bit tentative to upgrade to the 10.9.4 Beta, as it may come with it's own problems (although it it is hard to see things degrading further). Seeing as though you have already taken the plunge, can you update us as to the efficacy of the beta? Is Davinci working?


It seem better at initial, but actually still doesn't work at all. Just the problem will talk abit longer time to happen, but actually he software will crash. It's looks like some error between Davicin resolve having problem in ram locate with Mac Pro and Amd d700's ram. Since it still work well in my old computer.

I really hope that this problem can fixed ASAP! :evil:
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1434
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostMon Jun 16, 2014 11:27 pm

wow, that sucks :\

I'm sitting here waiting for 10.9.4. Hope they fix it by release...
Offline
User avatar

Hugh Sweeney (Huey)

  • Posts: 88
  • Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostTue Jun 17, 2014 1:26 am

Sounds like the same problem I'm having (my post regarding iMac crashing in post prod section). I'm also having to re-boot. Have you checked that the memory in the machine is OK?

Hugh
Offline
User avatar

ryancheng2000

  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:37 am
  • Location: Hong Kong

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostTue Jun 17, 2014 4:58 am

sean mclennan wrote:wow, that sucks :\

I'm sitting here waiting for 10.9.4. Hope they fix it by release...


I hope so, but looks like it's hopeless until Davinci Resolve 11 release... :?



Huey wrote:Sounds like the same problem I'm having (my post regarding iMac crashing in post prod section). I'm also having to re-boot. Have you checked that the memory in the machine is OK?

Hugh



FYI My Mac Pro figure..
3.5Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
16GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB
OSX 10.9.4 (13E9)


Hi Hury, I just read through your post, I think we getting the same problem, furthermore i saw few people getting the same problem too, the similar thing is we are using mac pro 2013..

I checked all my memory working well. I'm using premiere and after effect for my work temporary, they work very smooth.

Final cut pro x also work well, no matter I put several plugin filter and adjustment layer with color correction filter on.

So I concluded that it's not the machine problem, it's absolutely the software of davinci resolve having trouble to work with Mac Pro 2013 model with AMD D700.
Offline

MatteoBava

  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 11:45 pm

I have the same issue...
please Blackmagic resolve the issue as it is a pretty vital one...
it will definitely make me decide upon buying or not the full version of Resolve 11
Offline

Vincenzo Onorato

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:05 pm
  • Location: Italy

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi, my name is Enzo and i'm a junior colorist. I'm trying to configure a little workstation based on Mac Pro for Davinci Resolve but i'm a bit worried because the issues you have found with Mac Pro and AMD D700. Can you suggest an alternative configuration for HD/2K processing and training? thank you so much.

PS: Sorry for my bad english :oops:
V.O.
Offline
User avatar

ryancheng2000

  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:37 am
  • Location: Hong Kong

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 4:06 am

matteobava wrote:I have the same issue...
please Blackmagic resolve the issue as it is a pretty vital one...
it will definitely make me decide upon buying or not the full version of Resolve 11


Actually there are many similar case on forum already

FYI :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23664
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23616
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23179
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23570
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22527
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19703
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22956
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19795

** too many...

I will post my review right here if I get Davinci Resolve 11, just don't waste your money now if you still considering.

enzo3885 wrote:Hi, my name is Enzo and i'm a junior colorist. I'm trying to configure a little workstation based on Mac Pro for Davinci Resolve but i'm a bit worried because the issues you have found with Mac Pro and AMD D700. Can you suggest an alternative configuration for HD/2K processing and training? thank you so much.

PS: Sorry for my bad english :oops:


This issue so far only found in Mac Pro 2013 with AMD D700 only. I will suggest to use Nvidia display card instead of any AMD. But anyways, take your own risk. and good luck :ugeek:
Offline

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 1271
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 8:47 am

enzo3885 wrote:Hi, my name is Enzo and i'm a junior colorist. I'm trying to configure a little workstation based on Mac Pro for Davinci Resolve but i'm a bit worried because the issues you have found with Mac Pro and AMD D700. Can you suggest an alternative configuration for HD/2K processing and training? thank you so much.

PS: Sorry for my bad english :oops:


The issues specific to 10.9.3 and D700/OpenCL seem to be addressed in the 10.9.4 beta released last week.

Regards,
Rohit
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design
Offline

Eric Santiago

  • Posts: 520
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:41 am

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 5:58 pm

Tested with 10.9.4 beta with Resolve 10.x latest and so far so good.
Offline

Dillon McEvoy

  • Posts: 69
  • Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostSun Jun 22, 2014 2:53 am

+1 Resolve is working well for me on 10.9.4 Beta, no crashes after 2 hours straight.
Offline
User avatar

ryancheng2000

  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:37 am
  • Location: Hong Kong

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 6:43 am

Yup, The newest version of OSX 10.9.4 Beta build 13E19 is working fine with Davinci Resolve 10.1.5 now. Grad to fixed this issue. :D

And also thanks for this problem, pushed me to learn some more other editing software for backup on my works. :mrgreen:
Offline
User avatar

Joern Friedrichs

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:58 am
  • Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 4:03 pm

I still have the render bug with the latest beta (13E19) update. No crashes - but incorrect rendered frames.
Mac Pro 6.1, D700, Resolve 10.1.5 (Lite & Full), 10.9.4 (13E19)

Image
ImageImage
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1434
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 3:51 am

slaughterhouse wrote:I still have the render bug with the latest beta (13E19) update. No crashes - but incorrect rendered frames.
Mac Pro 6.1, D700, Resolve 10.1.5 (Lite & Full), 10.9.4 (13E19)

Image
ImageImage


I think there might be something wrong with your D700s. As in hardware issue.
Offline
User avatar

Joern Friedrichs

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:58 am
  • Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Some guys changed/repaired hardware with no luck. First it is ok and after a while it is wrong again. The discussion of failed hardware is lasting for a very long time but with no clear solution.
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1434
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 8:27 pm

We'll, it's possible there are 2 issues. Perhaps there are some hardware issues that have resulted from the 10.9.3 update?

I know for a fact when the issue popped up for me, my D700s heated up so hot, I could barely touch the case. That has to have some effect on the hardware, no?

Changing the D700s out while still running 10.9.3 wouldn't solve the issue...just like updating to 10.9.4 or downgrading to 10.9.2 would still show artifacts from a damaged D700.

Just a thought. It's an ugly mess any way you slice it :(
Offline

Dillon McEvoy

  • Posts: 69
  • Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Updated to Resolve 11 beta, running the 10.9.4 beta. I am now experiencing the same crashing as 10.9.3 while working with 4K Raw footage from the BMP4K. Will test with other footage to see if issue has anything to do with the 4K.

*Update:

It seems the Resolve 11 Beta and 10.9.4 beta both produce the same memory leak issue that 10.9.3 and Resolve 10.1.5 did. I'm at a loss here, not really sure what my next step should be. I would like to edit 4K Raw from the bmpc4k on my machine, but downgrading to davinci 10.1.5 will not allow me to do so, correct?
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1434
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 1:53 am

Rohit, on an Adobe forum...an AMD rep says it's nothing to do with the D700s, just that these apps (Resolve/Adobe) are still using OpenCL 1.2 and they need to move up to OpenCL 2.0.

Does that make sense to you? Or can/will you comment to that?

There is still a lot of finger pointing from Apple that it's not their "fault". That the software devs need to update their software :?:
Offline

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 1271
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 4:25 am

sean mclennan wrote:Rohit, on an Adobe forum...an AMD rep says it's nothing to do with the D700s, just that these apps (Resolve/Adobe) are still using OpenCL 1.2 and they need to move up to OpenCL 2.0.

Does that make sense to you? Or can/will you comment to that?

There is still a lot of finger pointing from Apple that it's not their "fault". That the software devs need to update their software :?:


Our recommendation is to update to 10.9.4, or go back to 10.9.2.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design
Offline

Adam Simmons

  • Posts: 5510
  • Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:21 pm
  • Location: UK

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 5:46 am

sean mclennan wrote:Rohit, on an Adobe forum...an AMD rep says it's nothing to do with the D700s, just that these apps (Resolve/Adobe) are still using OpenCL 1.2 and they need to move up to OpenCL 2.0.

Does that make sense to you? Or can/will you comment to that?

There is still a lot of finger pointing from Apple that it's not their "fault". That the software devs need to update their software :?:
That would seem pretty bad if true. That would imply that they've dumped support for OpenCL 1.2 which seems a bit premature as OpenCL 2.0 only came out in Nov 2013
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years
Offline

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 1271
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 6:28 am

Adbear wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:Rohit, on an Adobe forum...an AMD rep says it's nothing to do with the D700s, just that these apps (Resolve/Adobe) are still using OpenCL 1.2 and they need to move up to OpenCL 2.0.

Does that make sense to you? Or can/will you comment to that?

There is still a lot of finger pointing from Apple that it's not their "fault". That the software devs need to update their software :?:
That would seem pretty bad if true. That would imply that they've dumped support for OpenCL 1.2 which seems a bit premature as OpenCL 2.0 only came out in Nov 2013


None of this is true - please don't go on hearsay! :)
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design
Offline

Adam Simmons

  • Posts: 5510
  • Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:21 pm
  • Location: UK

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 6:42 am

That's why I said it would be pretty bad if it were true. Maybe AMD should talk to their reps about this if they are the ones posting up rumors.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years
Offline

Chris Blaine

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 1:30 pm

Does Resolve 11 fix this problem?

I rolled back to 10.9.2 but still get both QTDecoder crashes and also render problem of green and red lines across the footage (I am using a 2013 8-core Mac Pro D700s 64GB RAM). Though this is only happening on a project where I have multiple versions of 4K and HD. Haven't had any problems with HD-only projects, no crashing and no trouble with renders.

Or should I get Apple to swap my D700s?
Offline

Dillon McEvoy

  • Posts: 69
  • Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 3:24 pm

stantonwaro wrote:Does Resolve 11 fix this problem?

I rolled back to 10.9.2 but still get both QTDecoder crashes and also render problem of green and red lines across the footage (I am using a 2013 8-core Mac Pro D700s 64GB RAM). Though this is only happening on a project where I have multiple versions of 4K and HD. Haven't had any problems with HD-only projects, no crashing and no trouble with renders.

Or should I get Apple to swap my D700s?


Unfortunately Resolve 11 does not fix this. For me it made the issue more frequent. Not saying it is blackmagic's fault, just that I noticed my crash time was much faster.
Offline

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 7805
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 am

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 6:57 am

Dillon, is your problem solved now. We have multiple nMP systems here using DaVinci Resolve 11 beta on 10.9.4 with no signs of the crashing from previous OS versions.

If you still have an issue, can you please grab logs when you get the crash, do this before you relaunch Resolve.

The Mac app is at
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/CaptureLogs.app

The Windows app is here
C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\CaptureLogs.bat

Post the tgz/zip file it creates on your desktop here.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager
Offline

PierreEmmanuel

  • Posts: 181
  • Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:31 am

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostMon Jul 07, 2014 11:30 am

I'm also in that case :

Neat Video exhibits some artifacts, and Resolve also, it appears to be totally random, I can render the video twice , and the second time it may be correct.

I also get some strange results neat video perf.
Offline

Peter Nikolaev

  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 8:52 pm

My nMP is having the same issue with 10.1.5 Lite running on OS 10.9.3. I'm able to grade PRO RES footage from a USB 3.0 rugged drive for maybe 15/20 minutes before it's unable to update to the next shot. It allows me to bounce around the interface and select different tools etc. but the shot selection does not change. Quitting Davinici doesn't work so I force quit. The system then crashes on shutdown so I manually shut it down.
I'd update to 10.9.4 but I've heard too many horror stories so I'm staying put with 10.9.3.
Considering v.11 beta..
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Offline

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 1271
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Davinci Resolve 10 Keep crashing in Mac Pro 2013

PostSat Jul 26, 2014 12:34 am

Peter Nikolaev wrote:My nMP is having the same issue with 10.1.5 Lite running on OS 10.9.3. I'm able to grade PRO RES footage from a USB 3.0 rugged drive for maybe 15/20 minutes before it's unable to update to the next shot. It allows me to bounce around the interface and select different tools etc. but the shot selection does not change. Quitting Davinici doesn't work so I force quit. The system then crashes on shutdown so I manually shut it down.
I'd update to 10.9.4 but I've heard too many horror stories so I'm staying put with 10.9.3.
Considering v.11 beta..
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.


Your problem is 10.9.3. Please update to 10.9.4!
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Return to Post Production

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests