Timeline Transcription Davinci Resolver 19 (Mac)

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

timbo3057

Timeline Transcription Davinci Resolver 19 (Mac)

PostFri May 10, 2024 5:45 pm

Anyone else having an issue with the transcription function in Davinci Resolve 19? I use that function a lot as part of my job. It worked fine in 18 and still works fine in 18.6. We updated one of the computers in our office to 19 and while the transcription function in 19 does do work for individual clips in the media pool, it no longer works for timelines.

It will either say the audio is inaudible which I know isn't true cause I tested it on a timeline I had transcribed previously when the project was in 18.6, or it will only transcribe about half the timeline. Is this a MAC issue? We're using Mac Studio's with the M1 chip and are currently using Sonoma 14.4.1 OS.

This is for a project that I have put a considerable amount of time into as it's a long term one. I have a backup from a few months prior that was an 18.6 export but that was before I did quite of bit of overhaul in the organization of the project bins and did a lot of multi-cam work.

I didn't think to have backup project file exported from 18.6 before opening the project in 19. I am hoping that a new update will fix the issue so I don't have to redo a bunch.

timbo3057

Re: Timeline Transcription Davinci Resolver 19 (MAC)

PostThu May 16, 2024 9:31 pm

As an update to the previous post.

For further clarification, I use the transcription for interviews that have been multicamed. I have been doing some testing and it would seem the transcription function is working in the timeline but it doesn't seem to play well with a multicam clip that's been put into the timeline. More Specifically it seems to be reading whatever is in the multicam timeline as opposed to what is in the actual timeline. And even then it seems to only read whatever is in angle 1 of the multicam. If nothing is there it just says there's no audio. If timecode is there it says it's inaudible.

The solution I have found at the moment is to either remove any audio from multicam timeline that you won't use and move usable audio up. Or sync everything and then copy the audio you want into the main timeline so that it is reading only what is actually in the timeline. Hopefully this is making sense.

sdecker

Re: Timeline Transcription Davinci Resolver 19 (Mac)

PostSun May 19, 2024 12:35 pm

I have had similar issues. On the Mac version of public beta 2 audio transcription takes much longer than it used to, fails often, and only transcribes about half the audio. To me it didn't seem like it was specifically one speaker or another, but many large chunks are missing. I use this feature a lot in my workflow, but am also using some of the other beta Fairlight features so I'm crossing my fingers for another update rather than reverting back.

t_hayash

Re: Timeline Transcription Davinci Resolver 19 (Mac)

PostTue May 21, 2024 6:43 pm

I just reverted back to 18.6.6 for the timeline transcriptions function - I'm just finding that it's not working for me in Resolve 19.

Things that do work in Resolve 19:
    Transcribing both single clips and Multicam clips works well. I'm transcribing interviews, and it detects the speakers and is quite accurate except for specialized words like names.
    Editing from the transcription window from a source clip to a timeline
    The remove silences button works, but I didn't test its efficacy - it turned a 2 clip timeline into 103 clips.
    Editing out other portions of a timeline by selecting in the transcription window, and then right clicking and selecting remove/delete deletes the section from the timeline and does a ripple delete if in trim mode.

All of this is useful for making an assembly, and then cutting out the questions, or reducing the timeline to selects.

What does not work (and worked in 18.6.6):
    Editing from timeline to timeline with Multicam clips
    Editing from timeline to timeline even when the Multicam clips have been decomposed.

Opening the source timeline in the source viewer, and then opening its transcript window results in the timeline opening as well. clicking back to the source viewer will reopen the transcript again. Selecting the target timeline in the timeline window and then clicking back to the source generally works. However, none of the buttons at the bottom right of the source transcript window work. Clicking them results in the screen flashing, and nothing happening. This is the case regardless of whether the timeline is made up of 'normal' clips or Multicam clips.

I really hope the prior functionality from 18.6 is restored, as it's super helpful to be able to iterate from timeline to timeline.

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta