Streampix .SEQ Format integration with Resolve needed

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Myron Lenenski

Streampix .SEQ Format integration with Resolve needed

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 6:17 pm

We use Streampix to capture 4k and 8k 12bit RGB file sequences on a film scanner. Streampix recording software is good, but their color correction software is weak. So we need Resolve or similar color correction software to correct and export these film scans to other mezzanine codecs.

There are at least 1000 Streampix camera capture users with the same problem as discerned from this page of supported cameras: https://www.norpix.com/support/cameras/ ... ameras.php

Here is a sample of 16mm film that has been digitized to this .SEQ file(apologies for the large file size): https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak6HT6WNfRoS7BZ5JwZ ... r?e=2iQpdq

If this codec was only supported in the Resolve Studio version to cover the cost, I can imagine that at least 500 users would jump to get it. I certainly would.

We don't want to render the .SEQ file before color correction, we just want to do primary color correction of the .SEQ file, then deliver to other formats.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chad Capeland

Re: Streampix .SEQ Format integration with Resolve needed

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 11:03 pm

Not the answer you want, but you can use Streampix to very rapidly convert .seq to .dng. Since there is no demosaic step, it's really only I/O bound.

If Resolve Studio supported I/O plugins, we'd write a .seq importer ourselves. Not to knock BMD's cameras, we own several, but the smallest one they have is like 200x larger than the smallest that Streampix supports. Likewise, the fastest camera they make is 1/100 the speed of the fastest that Streampix supports, and they don't make any cameras that are multispectral or x-ray sensitive. Sometimes filmmaking involves something much different than a typical digital cinema camera.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Myron Lenenski

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 2:42 pm

When converting .seq to .dng, the files never look right. We go to DPX and they look fine. But this takes two-three times running time to accomplish....and eats up harddrive space. We definitely aren't operating in a terrifically refined system, so we are trying to work with what hardware we've got.

Assimilate supports I/O plugins.....but I don't know how to do this. Is there someone you know that could help me.

Chad Capeland

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 4:21 pm

Fusion supports I/O plugins. That's gonna be a hack for you though, as you can't just drag and drop the files into a Resolve timeline that way.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

don007

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 7:45 am

There are many problems with Streampix. First of all, you must have version 8 to export DNG files correctly, but you must make a DCP file that you specify in the settings in Streampix. The path is: Streapix setting / Images / DNG camera profile. Then it will export DNG images correctly. If you export DNG images from Streampix Norpix, unfortunately it exports them from seq very slowly. I got paid by an experienced programmer to program a separate program to export DNG from a seq file. I have exported a whole 35mm 1 reel from seq to DNG in 10 minutes. When I exported it in Streampix, it took 45 minutes.

don007

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 7:52 am

Myron Lenenski wrote:We use Streampix to capture 4k and 8k 12bit RGB file sequences on a film scanner. Streampix recording software is good, but their color correction software is weak. So we need Resolve or similar color correction software to correct and export these film scans to other mezzanine codecs.

There are at least 1000 Streampix camera capture users with the same problem as discerned from this page of supported cameras: https://www.norpix.com/support/cameras/ ... ameras.php

Here is a sample of 16mm film that has been digitized to this .SEQ file(apologies for the large file size): https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak6HT6WNfRoS7BZ5JwZ ... r?e=2iQpdq

If this codec was only supported in the Resolve Studio version to cover the cost, I can imagine that at least 500 users would jump to get it. I certainly would.

We don't want to render the .SEQ file before color correction, we just want to do primary color correction of the .SEQ file, then deliver to other formats.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Your sequence recorded in Norpix Streampix is not RAW 12 or 16bit. Therefore, it cannot be exported to DNG, not even in the Streampix program. I tried it now.

Return to Software Developers