OpenFX kOfxImageEffectPropSupportedComponents ignored ?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

smunaut

OpenFX kOfxImageEffectPropSupportedComponents ignored ?

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 2:47 pm

So I se tkOfxImageEffectPropSupportedComponents to a single entry for my input clip : kOfxImageComponentRGB

And then in the render functions, turns out the images I get with clipGetImage have kOfxImageEffectPropComponents set to kOfxImageComponentRGBA ...

Am I missing something here ? Does resolve not support kOfxImageComponentRGB ?
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

AdamSaka

Re: OpenFX kOfxImageEffectPropSupportedComponents ignored ?

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 3:20 am

I'm no expert, but I have encountered similar issues when trying to port some internal After Effects plug-ins...

If I try, I get kOfxImageComponentNone as the output buffer type when requesting only RGB, so I guess it is not supported. (A better message than RGBA)

There seems to be a similar problem with bit-depth. I get floats when I don't indicate support for them.

Looks like you need to check bit-depth and component count on the actual clip to avoid memory overruns/underruns. I would have thought that the host should not attempt to render things the plug-in can't support, but it looks like you can't assume this.

AdamSaka

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 3:50 am

On further investigation....

Resolve 17.1.1 reports in the host struct that kOfxImageComponentRGB is not supported. So you should be returning a MissingHostFeature error in the "On Load" event if you don't support RGBA. If you do this, Resolve won't load the plug-in.

(Although, from the host's point of view, I think it would be safer to validate the request, instead of sending unsupported data to the plug-in)

I hope that helps.

smunaut

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 6:51 pm

@AdamSaka Oh, very interesting, thanks, I didn't even think of checking that !

Well I'm writing that plugin pretty much specifically for resolve so I just added support for RGBA ... not a big deal.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

Return to Software Developers