Update paths of timeline clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mcmooch

Update paths of timeline clips

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 4:13 pm

Hi,

I have a question about updating the path / MediaPoolItem of a clip on the timeline.

I have script that runs through all clips on a track and successfully finds and updates the paths of those clips. The problem is that it also updates the paths of clip copies on other tracks. I would like those to stay unaffected as I use them for reference.

I am using ReplaceClip to update the path:

mediaPoolItem = clip.GetMediaPoolItem()
mediaPoolItem.ReplaceClip(path)

I have tried creating another MediaPoolItem with the updated path, but I haven't found a way to relink the clip to the new MediaPoolItem. RelinkClips and UnlinkClips also affects all clip copies.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve this?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Update paths of timeline clips

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 10:33 am

You might get more feedback on the Resolve forum.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Andy Mees

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 1:36 pm

mcmooch wrote:I have tried creating another MediaPoolItem with the updated path, but I haven't found a way to relink the clip to the new MediaPoolItem. RelinkClips and UnlinkClips also affects all clip copies.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve this?

Replace and Relink operations work at the master clip level Anette, hence using those method to re-associate clip references will affect all instances.

Apologies, I've no idea if any of the following operations are scriptable, but to achieve manually, on a clip by clip basis what you're trying to automate, you could select the new target reference clip in then Media Pool, and then on the timeline clip, use the 'Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip' function to force associate that single instance... or, for a track wide operation, you could first select all clips in one track, and then use one of the File menu > Reconform from Bins or Reconform from Media Storage functions, with the 'Attempt to reconform Selected Clips in timeline' option.

Hope it helps
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

mcmooch

PostTue Feb 08, 2022 1:43 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:You might get more feedback on the Resolve forum.

Thanks, Peter! I will try that.

Return to DaVinci Resolve