Any discussion on HDR with switching ISOs?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Firedan1176

Any discussion on HDR with switching ISOs?

PostMon May 23, 2022 12:30 am

I'm not sure if it's been discussed here before, but several cameras support an "HDR" mode to squeeze out any extra latitude by shooting at twice the user's frame rate and alternating ISO each frame. Since cameras like the Blackmagic Pocket 4K and 6K have dual native ISOs, it'd be interesting to see an HDR mode for frame rates that are less than or equal to half the maximum supported frame rate at a given resolution. The sidecar file/metadata can identify the clip as an HDR clip, giving Resolve quick support for playing back the clip at the intended 'half' frame rate and obfuscate the strange alternating ISO artifacts you'd see at regular playback.

Are there any potential reasons for not supporting this? Seeing that there's 2 separate pre amps in the camera, I think it's reasonable to have users like myself who want to squeeze extra data from the sensor. Plus, I think cameras like RED already support this internally.

Just wanted to toss this out there. Any thoughts? Thanks.

rNeil H

Re: Any discussion on HDR with switching ISOs?

PostMon May 23, 2022 3:50 am

As there are already enough stops of dynamic range for most any practical HDR in the BM cameras, I'm not really understanding this suggestion.

What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Firedan1176

Re: Any discussion on HDR with switching ISOs?

PostMon May 23, 2022 6:30 pm

Hey Neil, thanks for the response. Yeah, that's true. Most people are going to expose their shots correctly and be perfectly happy with the end result. So would most people use it? I'd argue if they know it's there, yes, but would they need it? Nope. But I can't help but wonder that the possibilities are there by extending some functionality in software. There's definitely been a few shots I've gotten over the years where I would've loved to stretch the dynamic range just a bit more!

Return to Software Developers