Controlling Hyperdeck Studio Mini

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

jbaumchen

Controlling Hyperdeck Studio Mini

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 7:42 pm

I have six Hyperdeck Studio Mini's and I'm wanting to be able to select them, one, two, three.... or all, to begin recording and stop recording at the same time. I was initially thinking of designing a custom RS-422 control system but then read up a bit on TCP. Not being familiar with TCP, can someone who is tell me if these can be controlled via TCP?

Brendan Dower

Blackmagic Design

Re: Controlling Hyperdeck Studio Mini

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 11:40 pm

Hi John,

The HyperDeck Minis can all be individually addressed using IP, allowing individual control over Ethernet by connecting to its address.
We publish our Ethernet commands in the HyperDeck manual, in the section called "Developer Information"

While you can just use a telnet client, in order to connect to multiple devices and trigger playback instantly, you will need to write a script. This script could be in any language of your choosing, as long as there is a Telnet Library for that language.

However, if you write a script that simply connects to each HyperDeck via Ethernet and triggers playback, you may find that there's a very slight delay between the trigger of each device.

The other alternative is to use an RS422 splitter so that one control signal can be delivered to multiple units, but using this method you will not be able to control each unit individually.

It might be possible to write a multithreaded application that enables synchronized playback over Telnet by managing sockets and creating a scheduler to trigger the "play" command.

We have some basic python code examples available for download at our developer website, check out "Introduction to the HyperDeck Control Protocol": https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/dev ... /hyperdeck
Brendan Dower
Blackmagic Design Developer Support

masonp

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 4:15 pm

I currently have two HyperDeck minis and I use an Elgato Streamdeck and Bitfocus Companion software to control the recording on them. It is easy enough to set up and gives me push button control from our desk. You can set a button to trigger all of the HyperDeck, or make multiple buttons, depending on what your workflow requires.

jbaumchen

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 4:17 pm

Thanks Brendan,
I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I was able to connect via Telenet but the delay would be too great trying to connect and control each one. I'm working on a circuit design using Arduino, selection switches, and record/stop/playback controls to select and control the desired units via RS-422.

Cheers

IsseSwe

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 4:49 pm

I use this

http://hyperdeck.iamjeffamato.com/#

and it is really great :-) I use it for 8 minis for iso recording, plus hyperdeck pro sending timecode to avid system also for sound:-) works like a charm :-)
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

Return to Software Developers