SmartView Duo 4K and HDR Waveform, RGB Parade Update!!!

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Krzysztof Sobieranski

SmartView Duo 4K and HDR Waveform, RGB Parade Update!!!

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 3:05 pm

Hello.

I use SmartView Duo 4K monitors as signal meters. I have been working in the HDR standard for some time and unfortunately the meters are scaled to the StandardDynamicRange range only. What does it mean? Waveform, RGB Parade show a mask for the range 0 IRE - 100 IRE + 5% (mv -300 -> 800) and for HDR, you could display another mask with a range in NITs from 0 to 10,000K. I think that this is the way to go and worth introducing the update firmware. As a result, SmartView can function longer in editing studios, television, where you work in HDR standard.

Regards Chris.
iSLATE

Xtreemtec

Re: SmartView Duo 4K and HDR Waveform, RGB Parade Update!!!

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 5:28 pm

The hardware inside the Smartview Duo is not even capable of HDR. ;)
Also the product is rather old. So i guess the unit will be replaced soon by a Smartview Duo 12G HDR.

Based on the software of the new VideoAssist 12G HDR which has build in scopes. ;) https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ideoassist
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Krzysztof Sobieranski

PostWed Mar 04, 2020 11:02 pm

Hi.

This is not about the vision signal, but only about meters. How do i mount in HDR using UltraStudio Mini 4k which sends the signal to SmartStudio 4K. The signal on the vision is actually too bright, but already on the meters it shows the correct signal. In my opinion, all you have to do is scale the ranges on the screen and it will work. At that time i managed in this way that i stuck the scale in NITs on the side of the screen, more or less. It is enough for me to set the brightness within 1000NITs. If i'm not mistaken, waveform, parade, histogram could easily be displayed correctly, it's just a matter of scale.

Chris.
iSLATE

Ed_Mantle

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 10:15 am

Xtreemtec wrote:The hardware inside the Smartview Duo is not even capable of HDR. ;)
Also the product is rather old. So i guess the unit will be replaced soon by a Smartview Duo 12G HDR.

Based on the software of the new VideoAssist 12G HDR which has build in scopes. ;) https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ideoassist

Wonder if we'll see these any time soon. I like the form factor and kind of want to pick some up to spec out a flypack but they're so old it seems mad to buy in 2020!

I'm having similar thoughts with the Sumo to be honest which isn't even as old as the SmartView Duo. The new SmallHD stuff looks interesting but not suitable for fixing in the lid of a case / rackmounting.

Return to Software Developers