ARM64 Linux Drivers

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

1200Mhz

ARM64 Linux Drivers

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 2:25 pm

Hello,

I'm developing a computer vision application.

I've noticed BM has NVME and mPCIe devices for quite some time now.
Declink Micro SDI (NVME M.2)
Decklink Micro Recorder (mPCI-e)

How could these products exist, and not have an ARM driver for their intended market?
Sure, an X86 Intel/AMD processor is fine, but also can make the solution as a whole, much larger. It is only convenient for a small form factor card in a PC, and I agree.

Nvidia Jetson is a very popular platform. LT4 has accelerated nvidia gstreamer support for Decklink installed by default in gst-plugins-bad. Trust me, it handles multiple 1080p SDI streams extremely well. Supports X16 PCI-e split over an x8 slot and a x4 NVME. Perfect for ANY Decklink solution. Nvidia Jetson is a desktop computer from my perspective, but only 4"x4"x3" in size. Competitors (Magewell) have already had ARM64 Drivers for quite some time. I don't want to go on a rant about the future, but that's extremely impressive in it's physical size. Remember, I'm a developer and the Capture card is one of dozens of hardware requirements for my project (I2C/SPI/LVDS/RS232/USB/24V/GPIO/ADC/ETC). Switching to X86 hardware is not a good solution I'm afraid.

So what's the hold up?
This is a pretty big deal for the ComputerVision market. Maybe nobody else has come forward yet. Jetson is just one of dozens of industrial ARM computers that are compact, low power, and high performance.

Please consider.

Thanks,

filmengineers

Re: ARM64 Linux Drivers

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 6:45 am

Well that's pretty good point to argue. I've been waiting for blackmagic design to release ARM64 support for almost a couple of years now! I'm glad to know that a fellow developer feels the same.

I hope BMD realizes the market size that they are missing out on just because of this one small "lack of support" part.

What are you developing buddy?

rkojcev

Re: ARM64 Linux Drivers

PostTue May 12, 2020 11:47 pm

It would be great if we can get ARM64 drivers. BMD when are you gonna make them available for the community?

Return to Software Developers