ARM64 Linux Drivers

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

1200Mhz

ARM64 Linux Drivers

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 2:25 pm

Hello,

I'm developing a computer vision application.

I've noticed BM has NVME and mPCIe devices for quite some time now.
Declink Micro SDI (NVME M.2)
Decklink Micro Recorder (mPCI-e)

How could these products exist, and not have an ARM driver for their intended market?
Sure, an X86 Intel/AMD processor is fine, but also can make the solution as a whole, much larger. It is only convenient for a small form factor card in a PC, and I agree.

Nvidia Jetson is a very popular platform. LT4 has accelerated nvidia gstreamer support for Decklink installed by default in gst-plugins-bad. Trust me, it handles multiple 1080p SDI streams extremely well. Supports X16 PCI-e split over an x8 slot and a x4 NVME. Perfect for ANY Decklink solution. Nvidia Jetson is a desktop computer from my perspective, but only 4"x4"x3" in size. Competitors (Magewell) have already had ARM64 Drivers for quite some time. I don't want to go on a rant about the future, but that's extremely impressive in it's physical size. Remember, I'm a developer and the Capture card is one of dozens of hardware requirements for my project (I2C/SPI/LVDS/RS232/USB/24V/GPIO/ADC/ETC). Switching to X86 hardware is not a good solution I'm afraid.

So what's the hold up?
This is a pretty big deal for the ComputerVision market. Maybe nobody else has come forward yet. Jetson is just one of dozens of industrial ARM computers that are compact, low power, and high performance.

Please consider.

Thanks,

filmengineers

Re: ARM64 Linux Drivers

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 6:45 am

Well that's pretty good point to argue. I've been waiting for blackmagic design to release ARM64 support for almost a couple of years now! I'm glad to know that a fellow developer feels the same.

I hope BMD realizes the market size that they are missing out on just because of this one small "lack of support" part.

What are you developing buddy?

rkojcev

PostTue May 12, 2020 11:47 pm

It would be great if we can get ARM64 drivers. BMD when are you gonna make them available for the community?

ebreyit

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 9:38 pm

With Apple now breaking news that they intend to shift to an ARM64 processor I hope this is addressed soon

Bob Luo

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 4:34 am

I'm just another guy who thinks ARM64 should be an option. It has been too long.

gvanmeter

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Also asking for ARM64 support given the recent announcement of the Raspberry Pi 4 Compute Module with an IO Board that has a PCIe Gen 2 1x slot onboard which should support the Mini Monitor/Recorder.

tautin

PostSat Feb 12, 2022 1:17 am

I'm also very interested with Linux arm64 support, in order to be able to use the DeckLink SDK in a Docker Ubuntu image, on a M1 Mac.

Russell Newman

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 1:20 pm

I would also like to throw my weight behind this. For embedded device work (M.2 card DeckLink products), ARM rules the space - Intel processors are horribly inefficient by comparison for mobile/portable power work.

(In case any BM software engineers are reading...)
Hopefully recompiling the Linux driver for ARM64 would only be complex if there's non C/C++ (assembly or compiler intrinsics) code involved. In the case of compiler SIMD intrinisics, there's a great liberally licenced library called SIMDe (SIMD everywhere) which will auto reroute supported Intel SIMD intrinsics to ARM64 and where not supported they are auto emulated. Hope this helps!

TakumiAmano

PostFri Aug 26, 2022 9:59 am

So now (finally) ARM64 driver/library is available for Decklink. Did anyone start using it on ARM64 platform?

I purchased DeckLink SDI Micro, installed Jetson Nano with Auvidea's board which has M2 interface. After installing drivers downloaded from Blackmagic support site, DeckLink is detected correctly and driver "blackmagic-io" is loaded successfully.

I also confirmed the input signal is correctly detected by the sample DeviceStatus, but I could NOT capture any video or even still image on any video format properly. The above half of image is always corrupted - I attached the screen image on CapturePreview sample application but the result is same when I used either Capture or CaptureStill samples.

ReadMe text bundled with the Linux drivers mentions it support just Jetson AGX, so maybe Nano is too slow or not eligible, but I would like to know anyone here has similar experience.

Thx,
Takumi
Attachments
small_1661507446962.jpg
CapturePreview result
small_1661507446962.jpg (158.75 KiB) Viewed 4453 times

dbussert

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 9:33 pm

TakumiAmano wrote:So now (finally) ARM64 driver/library is available for Decklink. Did anyone start using it on ARM64 platform?

I just tested this an got the exact same results you did with a Nano using the SEEED A206 carrier. My theory is that the Nano does not have the PCI-E lanes necessary to receive the video from the SDI Micro. I switch my SDI Micro over to a NX dev kit and the CapturePreview works perfectly. My conclusion is doing SDI capture over PCI-E is not feasible with a Nano.

nitishjha

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 4:20 pm

have gotten similar results with Raspberry Pi 5 and M.2 Hat from Pimoroni.
seems to negotiate only Gen2 speed
Code: Select all
[    3.948985] BlackmagicIO: Enabled device "DeckLink SDI Micro" x1/5 GT/s (c86083c0,5c0100) FW Date: 06-01 16:36

Return to Software Developers