Bluetooth control questions

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

jfernsler

Bluetooth control questions

PostFri May 01, 2020 10:50 pm

I've gotten bluetooth control to work quite well with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 6k recently and I was looking for a way to access previous clips while in Playback mode. As far as I can surmise, once I enter Playback, I can only play the most recent clip. Is there a command I'm missing to be able to move back through the clips I've previously recorded?

It feels like it's just out of arms reach as the playback mode has the previous/next clip buttons right there on the touch screen. The documentation doesn't seem to cover clip navigation beyond full clip and looping of the last clip.

Any help would be useful here... thanks!

Brendan Dower

Blackmagic Design

Re: Bluetooth control questions

PostWed May 06, 2020 4:22 am

Hi Jeremy,

The Media->PlaybackControl [10.2] command controls the playbak control.
This command can be found in the latest version of the Pocket Cinema Camera Manual.

Its an int8 enum command with index[0]:
Code: Select all
0 = previous
1 = next

Example:
Code: Select all
Previous: 255, 5, 0, 0, 10, 2, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
    Next: 255, 5, 0, 0, 10, 2, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0
Note: The 3 zeros on the end are padding.
Brendan Dower
Blackmagic Design Developer Support

jfernsler

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 5:59 pm

Sorry this is a late reply - I just regained access to a camera to test these out and they work great. However the section of the api that you refer to: 10.2 isn't in any documentation that I've seen. Is there updated API docs that you could point me to that may have this section in it?

Which brings up another question - I see in the camera menus that there is a 3d lut that can be turned on and off - is this something that can be controlled over BT? There's nothing in the docs that says so, but it's essentially a toggle on the camera so I wasn't sure if there was a way to access that. Any thoughts?

Chris Maier

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 5:58 pm

jfernsler wrote:10.2 isn't in any documentation that I've seen.
Hi,

BMD did not yet update the developer documentation:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... ontrol.pdf

Instead they updated the camera user manual:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... Manual.pdf

The camera user manual contains the section "10.2" on page 155.

Regards,
Chris
| 2x BMPCC 6K | Davinci Resolve Studio | Davinci Resolve Speed Editor |

Chris Maier

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 6:06 pm

jfernsler wrote:Which brings up another question - I see in the camera menus that there is a 3d lut that can be turned on and off - is this something that can be controlled over BT? There's nothing in the docs that says so, but it's essentially a toggle on the camera so I wasn't sure if there was a way to access that. Any thoughts?
There is also a new section "1.15 Display LUT" described in the user manual on page 152, which is missing the developer document:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... Manual.pdf

Regards,
Chris
| 2x BMPCC 6K | Davinci Resolve Studio | Davinci Resolve Speed Editor |

jfernsler

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 6:42 pm

Thank you for those replies - but for some reason I am unable to get this feature to work. I'm working with a BMPCC6k running the latest update.

just trying to switch over to the extended video LUT using the following payload:

[ 255, 6, 0, 0, 1, 15, 1, 0, 3, 1, 0, 0 ]

So I'm not quite sure what's going wrong here. I'm having a similar issue attempting to switch between BRAW and ProRes recording formats. What's odd is that I can switch between compression levels once you manually adjust the compression method on-camera.. but I can't set the method over BT.

What are your methods for debugging a command to get it to work? For me it's a lot of trial and error to see what works - is there a methodology to figure out how to get each feature working?

dean.lusk

PostWed Sep 09, 2020 8:20 am

Yes it seems like the LUT commands need some work. I've observed the following behaviour...

Pocket Cameras
- Transmits Selected LUT, and when doing so, always reports LUT is being turned on, regardless of whether or not this is the case
- Will not transmit any data when toggling the Display LUT setting, from either LCD or HDMI
- No commands sent to the camera seem to have any impact

Ursa Mini Pros
- Correctly transmits Selected LUT
- Correctly transmits Display 3D LUT when toggling from Front SDI menu
- No commands sent to the camera seem to have any impact
Dean Lusk
We Are Empire

Nick Shaw

PostThu May 06, 2021 11:25 am

This also seems to be the case with the Pocket 4K sending LUT commands over HDMI via an ATEM Mini. The LUT commands seem to have no effect.
Workflow Consultant, London UK
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

Return to Software Developers