Blackmagic RAW Player : no thumbnails on Windows anymore

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

antoine

Blackmagic RAW Player : no thumbnails on Windows anymore

PostTue May 05, 2020 9:27 am

Hi,

I'm part of the team working on BRAW Studio a Blackmagic RAW importer for Adobe CC

It seems to me that the latest Blackmagic RAW Player 1.7 installed by Blackmagic RAW SDK 1.7 on Windows is not shipping and registering BlackmagicRawShellExtension.dll anymore hence there are no thumbnails anymore in Windows Explorer (but old thumbnails are still there, loaded from cache).

Why did you do that ? Are you going to bring this feature back ?

Did you have trouble / interactions issues between shell thumbnail generation and the Blackmagic plugins for Adobe ? We've seen file error access issues (on both our plugin and Blackmagic official Adobe plugins), it might be related and need to know. Also, some users are still using an older version of the Player / SDK with the thumbnail generation so if there are issues they're still out there happening we need to address them

Thanks,
Antoine
BRAW Studio for Adobe CC (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Media Encoder) : www.autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio/

Now comes with a brand new Source Settings Panel (like Lumetri) with batch modifications and others cool features ! youtube.com/watch?v=w4REl_U8K6c

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: Blackmagic RAW Player : no thumbnails on Windows anymore

PostWed May 06, 2020 2:03 am

We had to remove it to workaround a last minute bug that was found in 1.7 just before release. We do plan to bring it back in future releases, yes.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

svdstaak

PostSun May 10, 2020 2:55 pm

CaptainHook wrote:We had to remove it to workaround a last minute bug that was found in 1.7 just before release. We do plan to bring it back in future releases, yes.

This slows down my workflow tremendously, having to check all files one for one. I've got around 160 shots from a shoot last weekend and organizing them is a true hell right now. Any workaround to get this working again please? Even if that bug is trying to delete Windows, I'd rather have that than missing this. :P

antoine

PostTue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm

Steven, you could always install back again 1.6
BRAW Studio for Adobe CC (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Media Encoder) : www.autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio/

Now comes with a brand new Source Settings Panel (like Lumetri) with batch modifications and others cool features ! youtube.com/watch?v=w4REl_U8K6c

antoine

PostFri May 15, 2020 1:33 am

CaptainHook wrote:We had to remove it to workaround a last minute bug that was found in 1.7 just before release. We do plan to bring it back in future releases, yes.

Thanks for the feedback. Will the next update be released soon ?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 15, 2020 3:25 am

In general we can't comment on future releases/plans sorry so I can't say when this may get re-introduced.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

antoine

PostFri May 15, 2020 8:27 am

Always worth trying :D

karpenko_a

PostFri May 15, 2020 7:16 pm

What needs to be setup so that thumbnails of braw files 6K in windows 10 work again?

antoine

PostSat May 16, 2020 7:03 am

As said earlier in the topic, reinstall BRAW SDK 1.6.1

karpenko_a

PostSat May 16, 2020 8:53 pm

antoine wrote:As said earlier in the topic, reinstall BRAW SDK 1.6.1

Files Recorded in braw 4K 50p OK. Files recorded in braw 6K 50p are not visible thumbnail (windows 10)

123123.JPG
123123.JPG (132.35 KiB) Viewed 1056 times

antoine

PostSat May 16, 2020 9:37 pm

For anyone wondering here, BRAW Studio doesn't make Windows Explorer thumbnails, you need to either go back to Blackmagic RAW SDK 1.6.1 or wait for the next update 1.7.1 (or 1.8 ?)

svdstaak

PostWed May 20, 2020 10:39 pm

antoine wrote:For anyone wondering here, BRAW Studio doesn't make Windows Explorer thumbnails, you need to either go back to Blackmagic RAW SDK 1.6.1 or wait for the next update 1.7.1 (or 1.8 ?)

This didn't work for me. Uninstalled all BM software, installed BMRaw SDK 1.6.1. Nothing... deleted thumbnails, restarted etc etc.

antoine

PostThu May 21, 2020 7:47 pm

svdstaak wrote:
antoine wrote:For anyone wondering here, BRAW Studio doesn't make Windows Explorer thumbnails, you need to either go back to Blackmagic RAW SDK 1.6.1 or wait for the next update 1.7.1 (or 1.8 ?)

This didn't work for me. Uninstalled all BM software, installed BMRaw SDK 1.6.1. Nothing... deleted thumbnails, restarted etc etc.

Maybe try with version 1.6 then. I'm not from Blackmagic Design so I don't know when they removed the feature

karpenko_a wrote:Files Recorded in braw 4K 50p OK. Files recorded in braw 6K 50p are not visible thumbnail (windows 10)

123123.JPG

I don't think it's about 4K vs. 6K it's about : if thumbnails were generated with a previous version (that had thumbnails generation enabled) then they were cached (Thumbs.db), all new .braw that appeared after the new version was installed don't have thumbnails generated anymore.

tycooko

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Would there be a reason why neither version 1.6.1 nor 1.4 display any thumbnail for me?

I'm on Windows 10 Pro version 1909 (18363.836) and the clips are UHD 8:1 BRAW clips out of a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K with the latest firmware.

tycooko

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 11:28 am

Wow. So much help! xD

antoine

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 12:50 pm

At least if we could know when BRAW 1.8 will get out that would be helpful

antoine

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 1:21 pm

Since this is affecting our users in all Adobe apps, especially After Effects we published an article to warn our users :

Blackmagic RAW 1.7 Bug : no thumbnails and file access issues

https://www.autokroma.com/blog/Blackmag ... ess-Issues

Return to Software Developers