Production Studio 4K UDP Protocol

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

yp1966

Production Studio 4K UDP Protocol

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Hello,

I am trying to interface an ATEM Production Studio 4K device from a non-arduino microcontroller. I have access to a TCP/UDP stack but cannot port the Windows SDK (no COM interfaces). I can successfully control the device through Windows no, but I am wondering if there any documentation on the low level protocol that will allow me to do a few basic operations (like selecting inputs for the main and monitor outputs?)

Xtreemtec

Re: Production Studio 4K UDP Protocol

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 9:46 am

Nope The Atem protocol is a proprietary protocol and official illegal to implement. ;) So no documentation what so ever!

Skaarhoj did reverse engineer it and has some documentation on there site. But they stopped supporting it after FW7.5. So you are on your own on this. And might find yourself receiving a nice letter of a bunch of lawyers once you finished with the hardware development. ;)

A better way would be to run the hardware to a computer, and from there let it interface to the SDK.

We do that with CentralControl to interface hardware to that piece of software that takes all Atem comm's out of our hands.

https://centralcontrol.io/
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ian Morrish

Re: Production Studio 4K UDP Protocol

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 6:09 pm

I allso use the API for my Winows PowerShell library. This is the most comprehensive implementation I know of with fairlight audio and camera control.
Https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

I went down the udp path for a little bit thinking that alternative hardware would be cheaper but found that celeron based NUC,s can be found real cheap, so sticking with Windows.

VS Code also seemms to run much better on the NUC than a raspberry pi.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Return to Software Developers