LANC to Bluetooth Conversion Project

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Daniel Leary

LANC to Bluetooth Conversion Project

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 1:36 am

I am looking to build an Arduino solution that I can plug in a LANC signal into and then convert that into Bluetooth to pass along some commands to the Pocket 4K camera. Mostly record start/stop functionality at the moment. I have most of the Bluetooth part figured out and can control the camera via an Arduino over Bluetooth. So now I need to figure out how to read a LANC signal so I can translate it into the correspond commands on bluetooth.

I am realizing that there is not much information available on how to create a LANC device that essentially acts as the camera side for receiving the signal, only how to generate a LANC signal to send to a camera.
I am finding out that there is a two way communication between the two devices so it seems more complicated than I initially thought. Like acknowledging that the camera received the signal after four consecutive packets etc. And wether or not this will work if it does not acknowledge back to the remote etc.

Does anyone have any experience/info or know of any resources online that I can use to make an Arduino function as a camera for the intent of being on the receiving end of the LANC?
Rocky9.2, Intel X299 Platform, 64GB Memory, RTX3090, DeckLink Studio 4K, Chelsio T580
MacStudio M1 Ultra 64GB
Resolve Version: 18.5 & 18.6

cesvisuals

Re: LANC to Bluetooth Conversion Project

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 1:44 pm

Hey,
i am looking to build the same thing. Did you find a solution for this?

Daniel Leary

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 11:25 pm

I did, its been a while since I solved it (at least to my needs) but I ended up using this schematic found on this GitHub project https://github.com/Julusian/arduino-lanc and a little of general knowledge that I was able to scrap together on LANC in general on Sony's website and other forums.

I ended up creating both the host and receive side of it, so I can plug a real LANC device into it and read the codes it creates(although if you are just looking for common LANC codes, those are available online) and the other side that I actually needed for sending those codes to the bluetooth interface to control the camera.

Hope that helps!
Rocky9.2, Intel X299 Platform, 64GB Memory, RTX3090, DeckLink Studio 4K, Chelsio T580
MacStudio M1 Ultra 64GB
Resolve Version: 18.5 & 18.6

Bluesideup Films

PostTue Oct 18, 2022 5:28 pm

Did you ever get this to work and is it possibly available to buy? I’m trying to get a BarTech Focus Device that sends a LANC command for Run/Stop to work with a BMPCC 6K Pro.
Dean E. Johnson
Bluesideup Films
http://www.bluesideupfilms.com

Return to Cinematography