Simple Recording App

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

BenjaminMcIntyre

Simple Recording App

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Hi folks,
I need a really simple command line app to do (reduced quality) recording for compliance. Record two hours of something like compressed 720p to a file. Then record another two hours to a second file. And so on, 24/7.
Something like VideoSnap (https://github.com/matthutchinson/videosnap), which uses AVFoundation, would be perfect. However I was a little disappointed to find the BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle USB that I've just purchased doesn't support AVFoundation.

So anyway, I'm a DotNet developer so I've decided to try to create an equivalent command line program. It looks like the DotNet API actually only supports Windows, and I'd prefer a solution in MacOS.
So I've been having a look at the examples in XCode on the Mac.

The FileCapture example looks like it might be able to capture video from the external source to a file for a specific amount of time.
I'm a little puzzled though: it builds and fires up the UI, but it doesn't detect the Intensity device. All the lists are empty and disabled.
Instructions are a bit thin on the ground, so I thought I'd ask:
- there are a bunch of modules called DeckLinkXXX, just checking that these will also detect and deal with the Intensity device (it's listed under the Desktop Media driver support)
- does this sound like the closest sample to what I want?
- if so, what steps do I have to take to detect and record from the device. What materials are available?

thanks,
Ben McIntyre

Cameron Nichols

Blackmagic Design

Re: Simple Recording App

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 3:56 am

Hi Ben,

Yes, based on your description the FileCapture sample is the most appropriate sample to use.

Did you already install Desktop Video software, and if so is the Intensity Shuttle displayed in Desktop Video Setup?

Kind Regards
Cameron Nichols

BenjaminMcIntyre

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 12:16 pm

Yes, I have installed the latest Desktop Video drivers, and when connected, the Decklink is visible in the BM Control Panel extension.

BenjaminMcIntyre

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 12:35 am

bmup

Return to Software Developers