Edit Braw metadata?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

zapteam

Edit Braw metadata?

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to edit the metadata on a Braw file? I have to change the camera # and the clip name ID in the metadata for future relinking for the conform on a 13 multicam shoot.

Any hints?

Thanks!

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Edit Braw metadata?

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 4:11 pm

It is in theory, but I'm not sure there are any off the shelf tools available currently that do it.

PM me, I can maybe help.
I do stuff.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 2:12 am

In general you override metadata by creating/editing a sidecar file. However, at this point camera ID cannot be overridden but clip number can. We could look at making camera ID overridable in an update tho.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 10:27 am

Is there a list somewhere of all the metadata keys that currently can be overridden? It would be very neat if any and all keys could be set in sidecar and also new metadata key-value pairs injected, it could open up some interesting workflows for softwares that can do something with all metadata.
I do stuff.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 4:06 am

You currently can set any metadata key you want in the sidecar, but there isn't currently a list public of what all the possible keys are. The most common ones you want have specific methods for setting/validating the values already. And there are some that would never be allowed to be overridden as it would cause decoding issues (wrong camera type etc) but we could look at adding the full list that is allowed to be overridden to the manual in the future.

Of course you can also use the metadata iterator in the SDK to get a list of all currently set metadata for a particular clip which is useful for showing metadata info UI lists etc, but could also be used to get the key names for overriding them in processing and/or entering into a sidecar. As mentioned though, many have preferred methods for doing this that provide you valid ranges/lists etc.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Return to Software Developers