UltraRecorder 3G (almost) comaptible with AVFoundation

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

peter_k

UltraRecorder 3G (almost) comaptible with AVFoundation

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 10:01 pm

Hi,

did anybody notice the new UltraRecorder 3G (almost) works under AVFoundation? My AVFondation app found it, and I was able to recieve and display frames. I sometimes couldn't start AVCaptureSession, some error messages in console (my app is SandBoxed), but it looks like AVFoundation compatibility is coming... Any comment from BMD? Thank you.

Peter.

Cameron Nichols

Blackmagic Design

Re: UltraRecorder 3G (almost) comaptible with AVFoundation

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 5:05 am

Hi Peter,

Did you look at the FileCapture SDK sample for example how to interface DeckLinkAPI with AVFoundation? Is this a suitable solution for you?

Regards
Cameron

peter_k

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 5:57 am

Hi, yes, it uses only a small part of AVFoundation (@class AVAsset;@class AVAssetWriter;@class AVAssetWriterInput;). By compatibilty I meant AVCaptureSession compatibility. Once the device's input / output is addded to AVCaptureSession, it gives you everything you need to capture, display and record video and audio streams. And, it is pure Objective-C or Swift :-) (for rest of us)
AVCaptureSession in my app discovers DeckLink video inputs (audio inputs are not discovered...) and I can work with it (get video frames), but it is not reliable (it fails sometimes). Why AVFoundation? It's backed by Metal, it is effective (very rough measure: one 1080i50 video, BMD CapturePreview CPU Load ~20-30%, AVFoundation 11-15%, both 10bitYUV ).

peter_k

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 8:08 am

Hi, I made another test with DeckLink SDI and AVFoundation (just for curiosity). Works better than HDMI Quad or UltraRecorder, Audio Device was recognized. I noticed two problems: when AVCaptureSession is removed (deallocated), device is not "removed" and can't be discovered again (I need to restart or unplug). AVFoudnation doesn't deinterlace (blend) interlaced frames from device (it does with AJA or other AVFoundation compatible IOs). And performance is 106% (i9 CPU), the same signal with AJA U-TAP 12% ! I also expected better latency, but it is the same when using BMD SDK software or AVFondation (when comparing to AJA).

Return to Software Developers