Using Gstreamer to capture encoded stream from DeckLink card

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

MattisH

Using Gstreamer to capture encoded stream from DeckLink card

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 9:31 am

Hi all,

I want to use a DeckLink device to access videostreams for a data science solution. Due to the fact, that the data science part is written in python, it would be convenient to capture the images in python too. As I understand, the SDK is only available in C++ (and some other languages) but not in python.

Using the gstreamer decklinksrc (https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/docum ... language=c) would make a usage of the decklink device in a python stack possible. But as far as I understand capturing an encoded stream (h.261 or mpeg2 packets like mentioned in the documentation of the C++ SDK) is not possible with Gstreamer? I'm unsure about that, because mpeg2 is mentioned in the dokumentation but it seems like encoded capturing in Gstreamer with decklink source is not possible? Is that correct or are there other ways to solve this issue?
Thank you!

codedeltajames

Re: Using Gstreamer to capture encoded stream from DeckLink

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 2:16 pm

The decklink card range don't output any compressed formats, the SDK however supports other devices (like the old H.264 encoder) which do - this isn't a limitation of the gstreamer code, it's a hardware feature that's not available on the device you have.

Return to Software Developers