Basic C# and Bluetooth for Pocket Camera Control

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

mcglynnj

Basic C# and Bluetooth for Pocket Camera Control

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Howdy,

I have been trying to get a basic working C# bluetooth app in Windows 10 to talk to my camera, so I can trigger specific features.

But I haven't been able to locate any working examples and I can't find an "SDK" download anywhere on any BMD website(s) to open up a communication channel with my camera.

The closest I got was to perform a scan of nearby devices, but I cannot locate any information in Microsoft's documentation to actually instigate connections.

Are there any basic C# examples that I can muck around with so I can get my Pocket 4K camera saying something other than "No device is currently connected to this camera"?

Please note that I am working against my age here when comes to .NET programming and certainly way before async/await programming, XAML and .NET Core became a thing, so please do not make any references or provide links to anything involving these as I am not likely to be able to understand it.

Brendan Dower

Blackmagic Design

Re: Basic C# and Bluetooth for Pocket Camera Control

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 1:21 am

Hi Jamie,

We do not have an SDK for the Camera Control protocol which can be used to control the cameras over Bluetooth.

That said, we do have some camera code samples available, but these are only in Swift and are not available for .Net. These samples were developed specifically for Xcode on macOS.

It should still be possible to view these Samples with Windows, and I believe Swift for Windows is available - but you will not be able to run these as they use Apple's CoreBluetooth framework, which is Specific to macOS. Instead, you will need to use a Bluetooth framework for C# and .Net.

The details for how to connect to and use Bluetooth with the camera are included in the product manual. This can be found in the section titled "Developer Information". Here you will find details about the Bluetooth Service and Characteristics that are used to send messages to and from the camera.

I would recommend looking for tutorials about how to use Bluetooth with .Net. I believe there are a number of videos on youtube that may assist you here. Ensure that you are using the UUID of the correct service/characteristic, as outlined in the product manual.
Brendan Dower
Blackmagic Design Developer Support

Return to Software Developers