BlackmagicRawSDK 2.1 Metal pipeline performance?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

raihan.kibria

BlackmagicRawSDK 2.1 Metal pipeline performance?

PostFri Oct 01, 2021 1:28 pm

Hello,
we are seeing only minor improvements in decode speed when using the Metal pipeline on Mac. On average with Metal we get around 10% improvement for decoding a small video, whereas on Windows a GPU decode is 100% faster than the CPU pipeline. Could you please tell us if Metal support currently is less optimized than CUDA/OpenCL or is it more likely a problem with our code?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: BlackmagicRawSDK 2.1 Metal pipeline performance?

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 5:16 am

What Mac are you testing with and what kind of files (camera/resolution/compression ratio)? Even with a GPU pipeline part of the decoding happens on the CPU so performance may be bound/limited by that.

If you want to rule out your code, you could also try the Blackmagic RAW Speed Test app that gets installed.

Here's a quick test I just did on this M1 13" laptop I'm currently on at 8K for comparison between CPU only decode (14fps) versus also using Metal (54fps)

BlackmagicRAWSpeedTest.png
BlackmagicRAWSpeedTest.png (553.47 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Return to Software Developers