FCPX XML to Davinci fail re-link Sony Footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

fabriciocontreras

FCPX XML to Davinci fail re-link Sony Footage

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 2:07 pm

Hi, I exported an XML file from Final Cut Pro and imported into Davinci Resolve. Most of the footage came from the Sony FX3.

I already worked with Sony Alpha a7sii and a7siii and aparently Sony cameras (alpha) has an issue in FCPx on timecode interpretation. So when it comes to Davinci the software can't interpret them and you have to import those clips and change the TC-IN to 00:00:00:00. Then it will re-link automatically. The other way is making transcodification before export the XML from FCPx.

However, I want it to do it by the first method and the problem that now I see is that all those clips that have speed variation in my timeline in FCPx are now "compound" clips in Davinci Resolve so you got to open that compound clip (open in timeline) and replace it manually (or by selecting de "conform lock with media pool clip" option, which is a bit faster).

Does anyone know a faster and a proper way to re-link them? Am I doing the right thing here?

thanks.
Fabricio
Director - Post producer on Siete Filmes

Resolve Studio 17.4.3
iMac Pro (2017)
3,2 GHz Intel Xeon W
32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: FCPX XML to Davinci fail re-link Sony Footage

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 5:51 am

moved to Resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Uli Plank

Re: FCPX XML to Davinci fail re-link Sony Footage

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 7:28 am

Well, first of all for any round-tripping you should take care that both NLEs can see the original TC. If it is seen correctly in one of them, this happens according to my experience only with MP4 as a container (where TC is not very cleanly defined). So, you can try to re-wrap a clip into .MOV and you can see the correct TC in both of them, this can be a solution. Re-wrapping is lossless and pretty fast.
If you still can't see a 'real' TC, i.e. all clips start from zero, you can add TC with tools like Kyno (useful for other tasks, but more expensive) or EditReady (good and cheaper). This TC will be based on creation time, so it'll not be perfect for audio sync, but good for locating edits correctly.
Finally, make sure to populate the reel/tape field of all clips, which should be read by most NLEs. Some cameras start their naming over and over when you change the memory card. You may be able to change this behaviour on some cameras.
Please report if one of these methods helps.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve