Playing back MPEG-2 transport stream with DeckLink DUO 2

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

hduong

Playing back MPEG-2 transport stream with DeckLink DUO 2

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 2:52 pm

Hello,

I have a MPEG-2 transport stream buffer and would like to see if we can playback the stream buffer directly to DeckLink DUO 2 output channels. I noticed that the FilePlayback example plays back the .ts file with MPEG-2 video by using MFCreateSourceReaderFromURL(). I'm wondering that if you have any examples to playback MPEG-2 transport stream buffer and using something like MFCreateSourceReaderFromByteStream() so that I can follow to write MPEG-2 transport stream buffer to the video output channels.

petrno

Re: Playing back MPEG-2 transport stream with DeckLink DUO 2

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 11:38 am

You can use something like ffmpeg or gstreamer for that (the ffmpeg needs to be built with DeckLink support). DeckLink only supports raw video and PCM audio, while the video and audio in the MPEG-2 Transport stream would be compressed. So you need a tool which can decompress the compressed video and audio into raw video and PCM audio and then you can play that out to the DeckLink Duo 2 card.

Please send me a private message if you need any help with this, or post a link to a sample transport stream file and will post here the example command for ffmpeg or pipeline for gstreamer to output that.

Note that for subtitles/closed captions it depends what format are the subtitles in inside the transport stream, some conversions are possible while some are problematic (DVB raster subtitles raster subtitles are not supported over SDI and you would need to OCR the bitmaps back to text and make that OP-47 or something like that).
--
Petr Novak

Return to Software Developers