AVFoundation on ARM processor

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

AndyVMLA

AVFoundation on ARM processor

PostSun Apr 24, 2022 3:54 pm

Hi,

I have been using AVFoundation to still image capture from an UltraStudio 3G on an Intel based Mac without any issues. I am now trying to upgrade my application to run on ARM based Mac machines. There is no problem using AVFoundation to access the built in FaceTime camera and capture still images, but when I try the same thing with my UltraStudio, it fails with an error (in the captureStillImageAsynchronously completion handler)...

Error: Error Domain=AVFoundationErrorDomain Code=-11800 "The operation could not be completed" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=An unknown error occurred (-12905), NSLocalizedDescription=The operation could not be completed, NSUnderlyingError=0x600003b3a790 {Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-12905 "(null)"}}

I am able to get a preview window of the video coming in through the UltraStudio 3G, just not able to capture still images. I have tried a few different CVPixelFormatTypes as I thought that might be the issue, but they generally came up as unsupported pixel formats (kCVPixelFormatType_422YpCbCr8, kCVPixelFormatType_422YpCbCr8_yuvs, kCVPixelFormatType_32ARGB, kCVPixelFormatType_32BGRA).

MacBook Pro 14-inch 2021 (M1 Pro)
macOS Monterey (12.3.1)
BlackMagic Driver 12.3 (and 12.4 Beta 1)

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Return to Software Developers