Camera Control Protocol - Broadcast a command to all devices

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

samgardner

Camera Control Protocol - Broadcast a command to all devices

PostThu Jun 16, 2022 4:49 pm

Hello there,

I'm diving into the SDI Camera Control Protocol and have encountered a potential issue when trying to send a message to all devices using the value 255 as the Destination.

Destination device (uint8) - Device addresses are represented as an 8 bit unsigned integer. Individual
devices are numbered 0 through 254 with the value 255 reserved to indicate
a broadcast message to all devices

If I understand this correctly, if I set 255 as the destination for a command, should the ATEM then send that command to all devices?

If so, it doesn't appear to work on my setup - individual devices can be controlled without issue using their own address, but 255 doesnt relay to any of them. I am wondering if this is a limitation with my hardware and if I am using older unsupported devices that don't have this feature in their latest available firmwares.

Here is my test hardware, which to my knowledge I've updated to their latest versions (I get the "Software is up to date" message for the latest Camera utility).
Blackmagic Camera Setup - v7.7.3
Ursa Mini Pro G1 - v6.9.4
Micro Studio 4K - v4.7.1
ATEM TVS HD - v8.1.1

I'm wondering if maybe this broadcast feature is only available on later switcher models like the Minis or Constellations? If this is the case, is there any documentation / info anywhere to show where the "cutoff" point is for the documented features in the protocol. I could test on a 2/ME Production Studio 4k but don't have that handy right now.

Cheers
Sam

Return to Software Developers