Resolve API: CodecPlugin and GetCurrentRenderFormatAndCodec

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

jonny9f

Resolve API: CodecPlugin and GetCurrentRenderFormatAndCodec

PostThu Nov 09, 2023 12:43 pm

Hello all,

I have written a custom codec plugin based on the x264 example. Everything is working correctly when rendering via the UI in Resolve. However via the python API I cannot seem to get the codec name or format name. I have stripped by code back to the example h264 plugin that ships with Resolve, the only change I made was to enable the DummyContainer.

When I run GetRenderFormats() with the plugin installed I get one extra entry corresponding to the plugin but it has the strange name 'Clip based format'. ( see below )

{'AVI': 'avi', 'BRAW': 'braw', 'Cineon': 'cin', 'Clip based format': 'unknown', 'DCP': 'dcp', 'DPX': 'dpx', 'EXR': 'exr', 'GIF': 'gif', 'IMF': 'imf', 'JPEG 2000': 'j2c', 'MJ2': 'mj2', 'MKV': 'mkv', 'MP4': 'mp4', 'MTS': 'mts', 'MXF OP-Atom': 'mxf', 'MXF OP1A': 'mxf_op1a', 'Panasonic AVC': 'pavc', 'QuickTime': 'mov', 'TIFF': 'tif', 'Wave': 'wav'}

Also if I enumerate the codecs supported by the plugin I get an empty list or I select the plugin in the UI and run GetCurrentRenderFormatAndCodec() I get {'format': 'unknown', 'codec': ''}.

I'm running Resolve Studio 18.5.1 Build 6 on Linux.

Any ideas on how to get this to correctly return the plugin format and supported codec names?

Thanks,
Jon.

jonny9f

Re: Resolve API: CodecPlugin and GetCurrentRenderFormatAndCo

PostWed Nov 15, 2023 11:21 am

Hi all,

Any thoughts on this? Is it a bug ?

Without this working I cannot programmatically set the plugin format or codec, which I would like to do to automate testing and rendering.

BTW I upgraded to Resolve 18.6.2 to see if that resolves the issue and it does not.

Return to Software Developers