Accounting for dropped frames and get to normal time again

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

cobot186

Accounting for dropped frames and get to normal time again

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 10:02 pm

Hello, all,

I’ve been using the Decklink 8k pro for more than a year now with great success. However there is the issue of late, dropped and flushed frames ruining my day.

My program is effectively a D3D app which I have no control over when it renders/updates. Every 40ms, I take effectively a posh screen grab, build a frame and schedule it for the decklink.

Because I have no control of update, how can I handle dropped frames when I have a group of outputs on synchronised playout? How do I eliminate the delay caused by dropped frames making the decklink output and D3D app out of sync?

There must be something I can do to get it back to normal time without the delay? The PC is powerful enough to run the program I only get dropped frames once every half hour if that. It’s not a constant issue.

My current fix is to completely reset playback but I find this overkill. What do I need to do to my synchedFrameCount shared across the different outputs to put it back to the original non delay?

There must be guidelines for this problem? It can happen when windows gets busy detecting new USB devices for instance.

I’m pre rolling 3 frames and running at 1080i50.

Return to Software Developers