Using SDK .idl file with VS code for Mac

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

fredthesecond

Using SDK .idl file with VS code for Mac

PostSun Jan 14, 2024 6:02 am

Does anyone know how to use the BMDSwitcherAPI.idl file with VS Code for Mac? Do I need to process it outside VS Code and import it in some way or am I missing something. I'm an inexperienced coder and I've only used .dll files before which seem far more straightforward to use.

Thanks

Cameron Nichols

Blackmagic Design

Re: Using SDK .idl file with VS code for Mac

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 4:14 am

Hi Martin,

On macOS you will need to include files BMDSwitcherAPI.h and BMDSwitcherAPIDispatch.cpp into your project. Please be aware that BMDSwitcherAPI.idl is only for Windows.

Regards
Cameron

fredthesecond

PostTue Jan 23, 2024 10:29 am

Thanks very much. I will give that a go.

fredthesecond

PostSat Jan 27, 2024 10:28 pm

Unfortunately I'm still having issues using the API files.

I've copied them into the project file structure and the BMDSwitcherAPIDispatch.cpp file seems to be successfully referencing the BMDSwitcherAPI.h file and I've had no errors showing up with either file. The problem comes when I declare the 'using BMDSwitcherAPI' line at the start of the main c# code. The error: 'The type or namespace name 'BMDSwitcherAPI' could not be found' is produced so I presume I'm not using (or declaring) the files correctly in some way.

I have minimised things down to a simple console .net core application to simplify things while I get the basic functionality working.

Can anyone shed any light on what basic mistake(s) I'm making given that I'm using C# on a Mac with VS Code for Mac as the IDE.

Thanks

Return to Software Developers