Setup of a Decklink 8K Pro using a Linux CLI

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

mickljones

Setup of a Decklink 8K Pro using a Linux CLI

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 2:06 pm

Hello,

I am trying to setup a minimal Linux install (no UI) that uses a Decklink 8K Pro for Video input and Gstreamer to do video processing and output over IP.

I would like to know how I can setup and configure the Decklink card using only a CLI (command line interface) ?

I know the card is installed and working as I can see 4K video coming in to Gstreamer, but I don't know how the setup the card to 8K without your GUI based Desktop Video Setup App?

Regards,

Michael

Cameron Nichols

Blackmagic Design

Re: Setup of a Decklink 8K Pro using a Linux CLI

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 4:59 am

Hi Michael,

All the device configuration options in the Desktop Video Setup application are programmatically accessible via the IDeckLinkConfiguration interface. As an overview:
  • Obtain an IDeckLinkConfiguration interface object from IDeckLink object by calling QueryInterface with REFIID IID_IDeckLinkConfiguration. Refer to DeckLink SDK manual section 2.5.15 for a description of the IDeckLinkConfiguration interface.
  • Refer to DeckLink SDK manual section 3.18 for a full list of configuration items and their corresponding value types.
  • Call IDeckLinkConfiguration::SetInt, ::SetFlag, etc with the configuration item and new value
  • The configuration setting will be applied to the card for the lifetime of the IDeckLinkConfiguration object.
  • To make the setting persistent across system restarts, call IDeckLinkConfiguration::WriteConfigurationToPreferences
You should review the DeviceConfigure SDK sample for a subset of configuration items. This sample can be run from the command-line.

For the DeckLink 8K Pro, you may need to also provide configuration on how the connectors are related. The DeckLink 8K Pro connectors can be configured with 4 different schemes, known as profiles. A list of profiles are provided in the DeckLink SDK Manual, section 2.4.11 and the IDeckLinkProfile interface is detailed in section 2.5.48. To change the profile of the DeckLink 8K Pro, you should refer to the steps listed in section 2.4.11.3. In addition please refer to the ActiveProfile SDK sample which can also run from the command line.

Regards
Cameron

Return to Software Developers