File Import SDK for DaVinci Resolve?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

JamesCain

File Import SDK for DaVinci Resolve?

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 5:36 pm

Hi,

I have a new media file type I'd like to be able to import into DaVinci Resolve. I have written importers for Media Composer and Premiere using their SDKs. How can I do this for Resolve please? I have seen the SDKs that ship with Resolve (the Python Scripting looks very powerful & I used to code Lua in Fusion when it was a separate product, I have also coded OpenFX in the past), but try as I might I cannot find a way to code a new file importer?

I will be at NAB next week so I can pop into the dev support folks at the Blackmagic stand to discuss if that helps?

Cheers,

James.

roger.magnusson

Re: File Import SDK for DaVinci Resolve?

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 2:27 pm

Resolve has a public Export SDK but there isn't one for import. Unless you can convince them at the booth. ;)

JamesCain

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 11:29 pm

As a follow up I talked to Daniel Koch this morning at NAB. He said there is already a way to support importing new file formats in Resolve, by making an OpenFX generator plugin, with zero inputs and one output, that opens a filepath.
Last edited by JamesCain on Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roger.magnusson

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:32 pm

I think that's Daniel? I suppose that would work for Fusion and for the Fusion page in Resolve, but I have a feeling it's not what people expect for Resolve. How would it work on the Media page for instance? Perhaps there's some magic already implemented for it.

JamesCain

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:34 pm

I am so sorry - Daniel Koch, not David, please excuse me. I do not know Resolve well enough to comment, but if there are any other ways to offer a media import from a file (we actually are using HTTPS to stream the media over a WAN under the hood, the file we open contains the host URL and some other JSON), I would love to find them. Thanks.

Return to Software Developers