ATEM TVS SDK C++ trouble visual C++ 2010

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Bas Beima

ATEM TVS SDK C++ trouble visual C++ 2010

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 4:54 pm

Hello
I want to develop a simple tool to be able to control some features of my ATEM TVS, so I downloaded the sdk ( in this case version 5,1 because I do not have a computer with windows 7 or 8 avail for this task )

I tried out the sample switcherpanel.exe and it works, so in my imagination it would not be to difficult to modify the source code to enhance this application and add some functionality to it, although I am not a programmer, I figured that it should not be to difficult to grasp the meaning of the code and enhance it as I did a lot of programming in the past.

So how to proceed?
On the BMD site there are no clues whatsoever, so I was on my own.

I guessed that to modify the c++ project I would need a C++ editor / compiler so I guessed that Microsoft Visual c++ express would do the job.

I downloaded this development environment and indeed: I could open the switcherpanel project from the SDK.

To see if I could use this for further enhancement I did nothing to the code, but I decided to first try to compile ( BUILD - F7 ) the project to create an exe. Once this was done, so where my thoughts, I could start to modify / enhance the code to make my own program....

ALAS!! the compilation / building did not work because of some missing headers, apparently part of a version of visual c++ that you have to buy for 700$...
these headers are called from includes that are part of the SDK.

this part of the code stops the compiler because afxwin.h is not found, afxext.h is not found and so on

Code: Select all
// turns off MFC's hiding of some common and often safely ignored warning messages
#define _AFX_ALL_WARNINGS

#include <afxwin.h>         // MFC core and standard components
#include <afxext.h>         // MFC extensions

#include <afxdisp.h>        // MFC Automation classes

Is it not possible to use the SDK without these expensive extra headers?

Anyone know a solution for this?

I simply would like to make some simple tools to be able to control key levels / wipe positions and sizes , wipe borders etcetera in a live situation, preferably through midi control.
I really do not understand why BMD do not make a simple midi learn as part of the interface like you see in almost every DAW ( digital audio workstation ). They do not have to be afraid that I will otherwise not buy their hardware interface, because it is way out of my financial reach :-(

Richard Courtney

Re: ATEM TVS SDK C++ trouble visual C++ 2010

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 4:11 am

You must be using the free Express from Microsoft. MFC classes are in the Pro version.
You can try obtaining Windows Platform SDK.

Can you compile the c# example?

I have been using Qt from http://qt-project.org which allows making your software for
Windows, MacOS, Android, and Linux.

I do mostly Linux now. Decklink interface cards are supported in Linux but not the ATEM.
SO I use the lib package from: https://github.com/petersimonsson/libqatemcontrol
for ATEM control for any OS.

Below is an example "all purpose program" that uses OSC for audio control and CasparCG,
not MIDI. There are packages for MIDI over LAN if needed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83007019/teaser.PNG

Return to Software Developers