Ref In

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Kenny Lam

Ref In

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 11:23 pm

Hi

Can I get some help on how to get the framegrabber to output video in sync with an external sync signal? I notice there is a "Ref In" input but i'm not sure how to use this.

More specifically, what I want to do is input a squarewave signal (e.g. _[]___[]___[]___[]___ ) into the framegrabber and have it output video in sync with the pulses. Can the "Ref In" be used for this purpose? What voltages are required?

Framegrabber Model: Decklink 12G extreme 4k

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

Re: Ref In

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Kenny-
The reference input is detected by the application or SDK based toolkit and genlocks the output the the signal (black burst, Tri-Level Etc). You cannot change or modify the signal to force a different type of signal output. You can use the adjust sliding bar in the desktop utility for changing the overall output timing but that is only user accessible adjustment.

Reference Input
The reference adjustment lets you adjust the timing of the video outputs of your hardware relative to the video reference input. This is commonly used in large broadcast facilities where the video output needs to be accurately timed. The reference adjustment is in samples so you can get an extremely accurate timing adjustment down to the sample level

Per the tech specs on the card you are using - the Sync Input can accept below.
Black burst in SD, 720p50, 720p59.94, 1080i50 and 1080i59.94 formats or Tri-Sync in any HD format.
Thanks.

Return to Software Developers