Tally GPI Interface over Ethernet/IP

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

thomasgodon

Tally GPI Interface over Ethernet/IP

PostThu Dec 03, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to connect through a socket connection on a GPI Tally interface over ethernet? To get GPO and send GPI over IP? Or do you always need to go via ATEM switcher or some videohub controllers?

Is the communication between those ATEM switchers/videohub controllers and the Tally GPI interface based on IP? Is there some documentation about this protocol available?

If none of the above is possible, is it possible to connect via a software API (included in the SDK?) using a USB connection? Or do you always need to communicate with those Tally GPI Interfaces via a ATEM switcher or videohub controller?

thx!
Thomas

JohnBengston

Re: Tally GPI Interface over Ethernet/IP

PostThu Dec 03, 2015 9:15 pm

BMD GPI unit is a UDP Client to the ATEM.

Kaspar has documented the UDP protocol:

http://skaarhoj.com/fileadmin/BMDPROTOCOL.html

Hence you need to implement a "pretend server".

thomasgodon

Re: Tally GPI Interface over Ethernet/IP

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 1:30 pm

thanks for the response!

I've made an UDP server and can connect to it using my own udp client app. But how does the GPI Tally interface connect to the atem switcher? I guess the ip address you insert, using the blackmagic videohub hardware panel setup, at remote videohub will be the one of your blackmagic atem switcher. So I need to insert the ip of my UDP server. But when does the tally interface know to connect?

Return to Software Developers