Using Decklink SDI to convert H.264 Stream

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

patdelaney

Using Decklink SDI to convert H.264 Stream

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 3:57 pm

I have an IP based camera that outputs an H.264 stream. I would like to convert that stream to HD SDI so I can connect it to my HD router. I have a DeckLink SDI card that is available. Is there already a decklink app that will do that or can I use the SKD to build a simple program.

Thanks

Pat

Dave Johnstone

Re: Using Decklink SDI to convert H.264 Stream

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Both gstreamer and ffmpeg can output to Decklink cards, it would be worth looking at them before re-inventing the wheel with the SDK. A simple test pipeline can be built on the command line terminal to decode the camera stream and send it to the Decklink.

Regards,

Dave.
Freelance Television Broadcast Engineer
and Software Programmer.

patdelaney

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 2:24 pm

Dave Johnstone wrote:Both gstreamer and ffmpeg can output to Decklink cards, it would be worth looking at them before re-inventing the wheel with the SDK. A simple test pipeline can be built on the command line terminal to decode the camera stream and send it to the Decklink.

Regards,

Dave.

Thanks I will look into that.... Is there some docs some where on that for ffmpeg and DeckLink?

Pat

Dave Johnstone

PostSat Jan 02, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi Pat,

FFMPEG docs are at: https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html - section 27.3 covers the Decklink as a sink device. Remember the Decklink only supports TV resolutions and frame rates, so your camera stream may need scaling and/or frame rate conversion as part of the pipeline.

Regards,

Dave.
Freelance Television Broadcast Engineer
and Software Programmer.

Return to Software Developers