Using Multiple Mini Recorders with OSX/AV

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Josh Parmenter

Using Multiple Mini Recorders with OSX/AV

PostWed Mar 30, 2016 5:57 pm

I raised this in a comment on another thread, but I now think this is more the problem that I am trying to work through.
I have two UltraStudio Mini Recorder capture devices, and AVFoundation only finds one of them at a time. I noticed when connecting two to Thunderbolt that AVFoundation recognizes that a new device has been connected, but when I iterate over the connected devices, I only see one. When I print info about each device individually, I noticed that the device.localizedName and device.uniqueID properties were the same for both devices, and my hunch is that the uniqueID is creating a problem where AVFoundation doesn't recognize both for some reason.
Is there a way for me to work around this so that I can capture from two Mini Recorders onto the same Mac and use AVFoundation to do this?
Thanks for your help.
Best,
Josh Parmenter

Fred Rodrigues

Re: Using Multiple Mini Recorders with OSX/AV

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 3:01 pm

Can you share how you capture from one device in AVFoundation? I cannot see any blackmagic video devices from AVFoundation even with the sample code?

Here is a thread on it
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30978

If you have some way of doing it it would be great to know how you achieved this.
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Josh Parmenter

Re: Using Multiple Mini Recorders with OSX/AV

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 3:51 am

yes - I have it working in a much larger project. I tried to abstract out all you need to toggle a recording into an OS X app though. This will write a file out to your Desktop called trashme.mov

http://realizedsound.net/josh/BlackMagicTest.zip

Let me know if it works for you or if you have any problems.

I will add - I never got two inputs working. And I was also disappointed to find that it seems like capturing at 1080 dropped frames. I wound up setting the session preset:

let sessionPreset: String = AVCaptureSessionPresetHigh

to AVCaptureSessionPreset1280x720. So - that is one place in this code to fiddle a bit.
Cheers,
Josh

Return to Software Developers