Hyperdeck Studio Pro 2 - TCP/IP Timing Problems

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Tobias Rempe

Hyperdeck Studio Pro 2 - TCP/IP Timing Problems

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi everyone!

I am trying to build a tool to control multiple Hyperdecks via TCP/IP. Of Course the playback should be as synchronous as possible. So i need to match the timecodes of all Hyperdecks. The problem is: The timespan between sending a command and receiving an answer from the hyperdeck is extremely variable.

For test purposes i created a small tool to measure the time from sending a ping to receiving an answer from the Hyperdeck. The ping-time fluctuates randomly (i suppose) between 20 ms and 250 ms.

So when the Hyperdecks send Timecode Information while running, there is an offset of one to six frames. Thats way too much!

Has anyone experience with time-critical communication with the Hyperdeck via TCP/IP? Are these ping times normal? Are there ways to reduce it?
elchmedia
Hamburg

Remo Val

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Pro 2 - TCP/IP Timing Problems

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi Tobias

I had a similar issue, starting 7 HyperDeck's synchronous.
After sending the PLAY commands, using 7 TCP sockets, the HyperDecks where never synchronous.
This is because network latency to the devices is variable and I use the 7 TCP sockets from 1 single thread in my client.

The solution for me was to connect a Genlock(PAL BlackBurst) to the HyperDeck's, while using them to playout 1080i50 media.

Is seems the slower sync made the devices waiting long enough, until they all recieved the command.

Probably this workauround helps.
Best Regards,
Remo

Return to Software Developers