Known issues with UltraStudio USB on Mac

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Flo Loferer

Known issues with UltraStudio USB on Mac

PostMon May 16, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi,

I've been using the Blackmagic SDK for several years now for playout and have not had a problem so far.

However, a customer just told me today that his UltraStudio USB 3.0 device is detected within my application but he only gets a black picture. As the playout works flawlessly with other devices (I have a Thunderbolt Shuttle device and tested on 10.9 and 10.11 and I also have plenty of other customers using other devices who didn't report such an issue yet), I'm only wondering if there's a known issue with the UltraStudio USB at this point?

He tried with the latest Desktop Video version 10.6.5 on a Mac Mini Server running 10.10.

If there is no such issue, is there any chance to get a loaner to test for myself?

Thanks and best regards,

Flo

Nicholas Gill

Blackmagic Design

Re: Known issues with UltraStudio USB on Mac

PostThu May 19, 2016 2:54 am

Hi Flo,

Based on the description, it seems unlikely that the issue is SDK related particularly as you have mentioned the same application is functional with other Blackmagic devices.

Guessing at possible causes, the most probable scenario which comes to mind is that video playback is attempted in a mode not supported by the device in use.

This should be evident in a failed call to EnableVideoOutput[1] and/or DoesSupportVideoMode[2].

If it is not possible to determine if this is the case (from application logs, etc.) I recommend that you (or your customer) contact Blackmagic Design Support who will be able to assist further.

Cheers,

-nick

[1] 2.5.3.5 IDeckLinkOutput::EnableVideoOutput method
[2] 2.5.3.1 IDeckLinkOutput::DoesSupportVideoMode method

Return to Software Developers