Blackmagic Speed Test Terminal Arguments

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

BrandonKoch

Blackmagic Speed Test Terminal Arguments

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Hello,

I was curious if anyone had any experience with running Blackmagic Speed Test via the command line? I have a number of computers I would like to run Blackmagic Speed Test on, but need to set the Target Drive and the Stress Size on each machine, and have been finding it time consuming to launch the software on each computer and adjust accordingly.

I do see there are some command line arguments for Blackmagic Speed Test, per running
Code: Select all
/Applications/Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskSpeedTest -h
, but have been unsuccessful in figuring out the correct syntax to set the target drive and the stress size.

My attempts to set the target size have resulted in me trying
/Applications/Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskSpeedTest -d /Users/Shared/SpeedTest/
, but regardless of my folder, including opening it with
chmod -R 777 /Users/Shared/SpeedTest
(the folder exists on all computers), it's reported that the folder is read/only and cannot be used.

Does anyone have any experience using the command line for running Speed Test?

Thanks!

Chip.Murphy

Re: Blackmagic Speed Test Terminal Arguments

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 1:10 pm

Any updates on this? Would be great to point to a customized location

Username

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 11:09 am

I've not found an argument to address which volume to test.
But it appears as if there are no such argument via cl.

Options:
-h, --help Displays this help.
-c, --cmd Control via command-line options, not GUI.
-o, --outfile <file> Print result output to <file> (default: stdout).
-s, --size <size> Stress test of <size> GBs (default: 1).
-n, --iterations <N> <N> iterations (default: 1).
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

soulessfighter

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 11:56 pm

Was wondering if there's a cli tool that exists for the Windows version of Blackmagic Speed test? Ive tried running the Windows software version using the same options listed above and they do not work.

If someone who knows if it exists or not please help!

Touchstone64

PostThu Oct 12, 2023 4:30 pm

Hi folks, only three years late:

Blackmagic Disk Speed Test from the command line (using '-c' as described above) runs the tests you define on the current directory.

So on a Mac, the simplest example might be:

$ cd /Volumes/myThunderboltDrive
$ /Applications/Blackmagic\ Disk\ Speed\ Test.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskSpeedTest -c

Result:

Write,1563.957031
Read,5207.723633

Sorted!

Touchstone64

PostThu Oct 12, 2023 6:56 pm

Wrong! I was looking at two similarly-spec'd drives and guessed the test was running in the current directory.

Nope.

It's actually writing to a path beneath /Users/<removed>/Library/Containers/com.blackmagic-design.DiskSpeedTest/, so I'll experiment with symbolic links and let you know if there's a simple way to get it to test other volumes. Should be do-able :)

Touchstone64

PostWed Oct 18, 2023 9:32 am

Sad face, the nature of sandboxing in macOS means that the app's target directory can't be 'fooled' by symlinking to it within the app's container, or even by symlinking the entire container. macOS simply denies the write to the symlink-ed volume.

When Disk Speed Test is running in its GUI form, it co-operates with macOS to acquire permissions to write to an external volume when the (interactive) user makes that request.

So for Disk Speed Test to test other volumes on macOS from the command line securely, and obey the sandboxing rules like a good citizen, Blackmagicdesign would need to code that functionality within the app following the security and sandbox models.

<starts hunting through Blackmagicdesign site to find a feature request feature>

Touchstone64

PostWed Oct 18, 2023 10:49 am

Facepalm time, I'm an idiot. The version of Disk Speed Test I've been investigating is the Mac App Store version, which of course has the sandboxed behaviour I've described.

The non-Mac App Store version I'm *now* investigating has just the switch we're looking for in the command-line:
$ /Applications/Blackmagic\ Disk\ Speed\ Test.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskSpeedTest -h
Usage: /Applications/Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskSpeedTest [options]

Options:
-h, --help Displays this help.
-c, --cmd Control via command-line options, not GUI.
-o, --outfile <file> Print result output to <file> (default: stdout).
-d, --dir <dir> Test target is <dir>.
-s, --size <size> Stress test of <size> GBs (default: 1).
-n, --iterations <N> <N> iterations (default: 1).

So on a Mac,
/Applications/Blackmagic\ Disk\ Speed\ Test.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskSpeedTest -c -d /Volumes/big-old-usb-drive
will get a reliable speed benchmark for that big-old-usb-drive when it's mounted in the default location.

THANK YOU Blackmagicdesign for doing the work, and also to Ro in the EMEA Support team for confirming the situation.

Return to Software Developers