DaVinci Resolve on Recreation of Nightmare On Elm Street

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Kerry de Boer

Blackmagic Design

DaVinci Resolve on Recreation of Nightmare On Elm Street

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 6:04 pm

Blackmagic Design announced today that DaVinci Resolve Studio was used to recreate some of the iconic scenes from “Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors” by original cinematographer Roy Wagner ASC. Wagner took on the challenge to re-shoot his work to show how far filmmaking technology has come. He relied on DaVinci Resolve for on-set grading, editing, color correction and finishing to create a look that matched the original feature film, which was shot on 35mm film in 1987.

Conceived as an exercise in modern filmmaking technology, the project required building sets to match the original film, but used modern tools, from lighting and camera through post, to complete the look. “I’ve used Blackmagic products, from cameras to Resolve, for a variety of professional projects,” said Wagner. “But this is the first time I used DaVinci Resolve with footage shot on a non traditional consumer camera. When you shoot with something like a phone there are a number of challenges when dealing with things such as smoke, high contrast lighting, deep shadows and strong highlights. I knew DaVinci Resolve could solve those problems.”

DaVinci Resolve Studio was used throughout the project. The production team had a Resolve workstation and DaVinci Resolve Micro Panel on set that allowed them to apply looks as they were shooting so they could achieve the desired style. Side by side comparisons of the original film and the new footage were displayed, and color changes were done in real-time directly in Resolve.

To learn more, please visit: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0200319-01

Return to Announcements