SXSW Film Sisters Shoots and Finishes with Blackmagic Design

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Kerry de Boer

Blackmagic Design

SXSW Film Sisters Shoots and Finishes with Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 25, 2021 12:16 am

Blackmagic Design announced today that the short film “Sisters,” which had its premiere at this year’s South By Southwest Film Festival, was shot on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K in Blackmagic RAW, and graded in DaVinci Resolve Studio.

Written and directed by Jessica Brunetto, “Sisters” focuses on two estranged siblings who are forced to confront each other as their comatose mother nears death. Andy (Mary Holland), a self centered failing actress, returns to her childhood home to find Emily (Sarah Burns), her older sister whose life is on hold while she cares for their dying mother. Tensions mount as they argue over whether or not to sell their mother's house, but when the two devise a game to divide up the belongings, hidden secrets come to light resulting in a well intentioned but ill fated resolution.

Conceiving of a short film set primarily in a single, small house presented challenges to Brunetto and cinematographer Wesley Cardino from the start, but their early choice to shoot with the compact Pocket Cinema Camera 4K proved to be the right solution. “Planning for a two camera shoot started with discussing space limitations,” said Brunetto. “Wes and I had to figure out which scenes and setups we could run with both cameras. I wanted to roll two cameras as much as possible for both time and to keep the energy alive on set. It was also extremely important to me to cross shoot Sarah Burns (Emily) and Mary Holland (Andy) in scenes where I wanted them emotionally to play off each other, as well as allow them to try some improv.”

To learn more, please visit: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0210524-01

Return to Announcements