"Alex Honnold: The Soloist VR" Uses Blackmagic Design

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Kerry de Boer

Blackmagic Design

"Alex Honnold: The Soloist VR" Uses Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 30, 2022 6:06 pm

Blackmagic Design today announced that the newest virtual reality (VR) film from filmmaker Jonathan Griffith, featuring world renowned rock climber Alex Honnold (“Free Solo”), was edited in DaVinci Resolve Studio editing, color grading, visual effects (VFX) and audio post production software. Additionally, 2D and 3D compositing, VR and motion graphics software Fusion Studio was used to process the multi camera, stereoscopic VR imagery.

The two part VR experience “Alex Honnold: The Soloist VR,” which premiered on March 3, follows the California native on solo ascents across two continents, documenting free ascent climbs in some of the most remote and wildest locations possible. The film, from Jonathan Griffith Productions, is available on the Oculus TV app via all Meta Quest VR headsets.

After his successful film “Everest VR,” Griffith was eager to make a film about solo climbing, or soloing, and Honnold was the most logical person to approach. However, convincing the renowned climber to join the VR world was the first step. “Part of the challenge in VR is convincing people that really good VR is a really, really amazing experience,” said Griffith. “But I knew that as long as I got Alex to watch ‘Everest VR’ that I would totally have him. So, I sent him a headset, he watched ‘Everest,’ and he was completely hooked by the possibilities of creating an amazing soloing VR experience.”

To learn more, please visit: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0220330-01

Return to Announcements