Award Winner Drive My Car Graded with DaVinci Resolve Studio

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Grace McInnis

Blackmagic Design

Award Winner Drive My Car Graded with DaVinci Resolve Studio

PostFri May 06, 2022 5:38 pm

Blackmagic Design today announced that “Drive My Car,” an award winning feature film directed by Ryusuke Hamaguchi, was graded using DaVinci Resolve Studio editing, color grading, visual effects (VFX) and audio post production software. The grading was done by Yumeto Kitayama, colorist at IMAGICA Entertainment Media Services, Inc.

“Drive My Car” is based on Haruki Murakami's short story of the same title and was adapted to film with a screenplay written by Hamaguchi with Cowriter Takamasa Oe. In the film, Kafuku, an actor and director who has lost his wife, faces his feelings and takes a new step forward through an encounter with Misaki, a taciturn personal driver he met at a film festival. This film, which tells of the loss and hope of people who have lost their loved ones, has won numerous awards at film festivals in Japan and abroad, including the Cannes Film Festival. It was also nominated for four Academy Awards, including Best Picture, and won Best International Feature Film.

“Before shooting, I created LUTs in DaVinci Resolve with the Cinematographer Hidetoshi Shinomiya, which we used for on set monitoring," said Kitayama. “The filmmakers requested a bluish tone that had the feel of European films rather than conventional Japanese films. We tried not to go too extreme with the visuals, but instead create a natural look with a subtle hint of that blue tone."

To learn more, please visit our media page.

Return to Announcements