Horror Film Barbarian Graded in DaVinci Resolve Studio

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Grace McInnis

Blackmagic Design

Horror Film Barbarian Graded in DaVinci Resolve Studio

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:08 pm

Produced by BoulderLight Pictures, “Barbarian” tells the story of a young woman who visits Detroit for a job interview, arriving at her Airbnb rental late at night only to find that the house has been mistakenly double booked and a strange man is already staying there. Against her better judgment, she decides to stay the night anyway, but soon discovers that there is much more to be afraid of in the house than the other house guest. The film stars Georgina Campbell, Bill Skarsgård and Justin Long.

The horror film was graded by Sam Daley of Light Iron using DaVinci Resolve Studio editing, grading, VFX and audio post production software. Though Daley doesn’t have many credits in the horror genre, his previous work with “Barbarian” cinematographer Zach Kuperstein, including “The Eyes of My Mother” and “The Vigil,” prepared him for the style that Kuperstein liked to shoot. “Zach and I already have a track record working together in the genre,” said Daley. “For this film, the mood was established with Zach’s lighting and the production design, with my job to interpret those visuals into the final look.”

Using DaVinci Resolve Studio, Daley created a custom LUT for production in Bulgaria, but when the final grade began, he provided looks to Kuperstein and director Zach Cregger. “I showed them different visual interpretations of the story, some pushing into the horror genre, others more traditional,” continued Daley. “The Zachs (Kuperstein and Cregger) chose a more traditional look for the finish. I think that’s partly why the look of the film stands out; we’re not announcing to the audience that this is a horror movie via the color grade.”

For more information, please visit: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0221129-01

Return to Announcements