Avatar: The Way of Water Graded In DaVinci Resolve Studio

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Grace McInnis

Blackmagic Design

Avatar: The Way of Water Graded In DaVinci Resolve Studio

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 8:11 pm

Colorist Tashi Trieu has worked with James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment for a number of years as a DI editor, including the remaster of “Terminator 2” as well as “Alita: Battle Angel.” For “Avatar: The Way of Water,” Trieu moved up to colorist, working closely with Director Cameron.

We sat down with Trieu to discuss his work on “Avatar: The Way of Water” and his grading process in DaVinci Resolve Studio.

I assume you worked closely with Director James Cameron developing looks even prior to production. Can you talk about that process?

I was loosely involved in pre production after we finished “Alita: Battle Angel” in early 2019. I looked at early stereo tests with Director of Photography Russell Carpenter. I was blown away by the level of precision and specificity of those tests. Polarized reflections are a real challenge in stereo as they result in different brightness levels and textures between the eyes that can degrade the stereo effect. I remember them testing multiple swatches of black paint to find the one that retained the least amount of polarization. I had never been a part of such detailed camera tests before.

For more information, please visit: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0230112-01

Return to Announcements