Bad Axe Documentary Captured with Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Grace McInnis

Blackmagic Design

Bad Axe Documentary Captured with Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 7:59 pm

Blackmagic Design today announced that the award winning documentary “Bad Axe” was shot with Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K digital film camera. The camera’s portable design and exceptional image quality allowed Director David Siev to capture an intimate portrait of a close knit family living in rural America during the pandemic and rising racial tensions.

“Bad Axe” follows the Siev family as they fight to keep their local restaurant and American dream alive in rural Michigan, amid dealing with backlash from a divided community, the financial stress of the pandemic, and intergenerational trauma. Following a very successful festival run with more than 20 awards, including Best First Feature at the Critics’ Choice Awards and the SXSW Grand Jury Award for Best Documentary Feature, “Bad Axe” recently had its streaming premiere on Hulu.

The Pocket Cinema Camera 4K’s portable design helped Siev, who also served as the film’s DP, stay flexible while shooting. He explained, “‘Bad Axe’ is a cinema verité documentary, so it was shot very run and gun. Since the subjects are my family and it was during the pandemic, I didn’t have a crew. There were no specific shoot days or schedules; everything was just a ‘pick up and go’ situation. If something interesting was happening, I would grab the camera, so it had to always be within an arm’s reach of me and ready to go.”

For more information, please visit: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0240215-01

Return to Announcements