Work arounds for PPro color limitations.

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Ernest Savage

Work arounds for PPro color limitations.

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 pm

I’m being forced to work in PPro.

I know this is a Resolve forum, but I don’t think PPro colorists know what they are missing. I posted in Adobe PPro forum as well.

I think there are enough solutions for the inherent color management problems (at least for what I’m doing).

Thankfully the Tangent panel can be mapped.

But I would love some workflow advice.

1. Best way to save and wipe stills and offline references? Right now I use comparison view, drop locators on the timeline, and use a macro to copy the timecode from a locator and paste it in the reference side of the comparison view. It’s OK, and fast, but requires so much more thought. Also there is no way to compare more than two shots.

2. Is there anything like color trace, or some macro that can copy and paste Lumetri FX using tape or clip name and source TC? Nothing seems built in, so how are people working around this? Just manually copy and pasting?

3. You can color source clips and individual clip instances in the timeline in Lumetri, but I’m hoping there is a way to convert source clip correction to individual clip instances, like converting Remote Grade to Local Grades.

I want to do dailies in PPro using source clip. Those corrections will then follow the clip to any sequence. Once the cut locks, I’d like to convert source clip Lumetri FX to clip Lumetri FX.

If none of this is possible, what are you doing when working in PPro to compensate?
Windows 10, Latest DR, GB TRX40, AMD 3970X, 2xRTX Titan, 128 Gb RAM, PCIe 4.0 SSD (boot), PCIe 4.0 SSD Raid 0 (cache) 14Gb/s, BM 4K, Raid 5 3.3Gb/s (storage). Mac 2019, OWC raid 0 (cache) 6GB/s, AMD MPX Pro Vega II, 256 GB RAM, 1Gb/s storage.

Return to Off-Topic