Does anyone remember the keying system from Play Inc.?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Paul Griswold

Does anyone remember the keying system from Play Inc.?

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 12:02 am

Back in the day when Paul Montgomery split from NewTek and formed Play, I went to a demo they gave in Miami where they showed a keying system that involved a silver screen and a ring light that either used UV or IR light to illuminate the screen.

Does anyone remember this setup? What ever happened to the tech? I can only assume it did not work as advertised.

Howard Roll

Re: Does anyone remember the keying system from Play Inc.?

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 5:29 pm

I remember the Chromaflex system from Reflecmedia. The backdrop captured either the blue or green from a ringlite. I tried it once but ended up going with conventional greenscreen.

Good Luck

Paul Griswold

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 6:05 pm

I did a quick search based on what you wrote and I do think that's what I remember. Maybe Play was bundling it with the Trinity when they were still taking pre-orders back in the day.

After watching the latest Corridor Crew where Paul Debevec recreated the sodium vapor keying system I started thinking of other slightly different systems and recalled that demo in Miami.

So Paul Montgomery and Play had nothing to do with Chromaflex. Funny how memory ties things together.

Thanks!

Paul

Howard Roll

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 2:58 am

I met Paul Debevec back in the late 90’s at a 3d conference. He was still promoting the “Campanile Movie”, true visionary.

Good Luck

Leon Benzakein

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 11:28 pm

Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:25 am

I remember the silver screen and blue/green illumination but also forgot it (out of sight out of mind thing). Eventually it is much easier to acquire, cheaper, and effective to use conventional green or blue screen materials.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Off-Topic