Batteries won't charge

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

WahWay

Batteries won't charge

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 12:05 am

I have two IDX V mount batteries both won't charge, The IDX charger will show a solid red indicator, according to the manual it means it detecting and conditioning the battery, after a few minutes the charging fan stops and the light still red. If Idisconnect the battery the light goes off obviousely but reconnect the battery the light wont come back on. Powering off and on the charger goes back to solid red light again. Both batteries has not been charged for about 2 years, they havent been used much but are over 7 years old. Any clue, is the batteries dead? How will revive the batteries? Will using a D-tap charger helps?

Ellory Yu

Re: Batteries won't charge

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 5:09 am

Likely the battery is dead. I usually keep some charge to my v-mount batteries every 3-4 months and joined in a while, give it a full charge and use it, whether on a lighting system or camera. But 2 years discharge on a 7 year old battery is probably the culprit. One thing is that if you have just a brick charger, try charging with it. It might take a long time (about 8 hrs) but it is cheap if you don’t have one already and will have you determine if it is the battery or your IDX charger.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

gillrich

PostThu May 02, 2024 12:04 pm

Some batteries have a built-in protection circuit that may prevent charging if they have been unused for an extended period. Try performing a reset on the batteries by fully discharging them (if possible) and then attempting to charge them again.

beredis

PostFri May 03, 2024 9:28 am

Please note that lithium-ion batteries can be dangerous if they are damaged or improperly handled. If the batteries are swollen, leaking, or show any signs of damage, it’s best to recycle them and not attempt to charge or use them. Also, keep in mind that even if you manage to get the batteries to charge, their capacity and performance may be significantly reduced due to their age and the length of time they have been discharged.

Return to Off-Topic