Studio Headphone Recommendation?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

robprophoto

Studio Headphone Recommendation?

PostFri Jun 21, 2024 8:57 am

What studio editing headphones would you all recommend and why?

Charles Bennett

Re: Studio Headphone Recommendation?

PostFri Jun 21, 2024 9:51 pm

Either the Beyerdynamic closed back DT 770 PRO, or the semi open DT 880 PRO which I use. They are lightweight, and with their velour earpads can be worn all day with no discomfort. Not forgetting that they sound great as well with no hyped bass.
If you are using them with a laptop get the 32 ohm version.
Resolve Studio 19.0b5 build 50
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 22, 2024 5:41 am

For my ambisonic dev review and testing I’m using the Sony MDR-MV1
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Ellory Yu

PostSat Jun 22, 2024 6:46 am

I had used many different studio headphones and I have settled with the Beyerdynamic closed back DT 770 PRO. Best studio monitoring headphones IMO.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

robprophoto

PostSat Jun 22, 2024 7:34 am

Ellory Yu wrote:I had used many different studio headphones and I have settled with the Beyerdynamic closed back DT 770 PRO. Best studio monitoring headphones IMO.

What about the 880 or the 990 pro versions? Would you still choose the 770 pro over those?

Ellory Yu

PostSat Jun 22, 2024 3:59 pm

robprophoto wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:I had used many different studio headphones and I have settled with the Beyerdynamic closed back DT 770 PRO. Best studio monitoring headphones IMO.

What about the 880 or the 990 pro versions? Would you still choose the 770 pro over those?

I think it is a matter of preference. The closed-back of the DT 770 Pro will be the most isolating out of these 3 which I like. Specifically for use with editing, I prefer it over the 880 and 990 models because the vocals and instruments still sound lively and engaging, which I think is in large part why the 770 is preferred as a reference or studio headphones. There may be other subtleties between models but I think the pro line are all pretty similar in being lightweight and comfortable. I have been using the 770 PRO for many years now and just love it. Regardless of model, I suggest the 250ohms version.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Videobegin

PostSat Jun 22, 2024 9:34 pm

Many criteria are involved in the choice:
Repair parts / connectors / matching impedance with amplifier / open, close, foldable type / Are you bothered by outside noises, or will your headphones make neighbours uncomfortable? / pressure on the head / Nature of materials in contact with the ear / sweating, heat / type of music listened to / hearing acuity / etc.

So it can only be a personal choice. AKG, Sennheiser, Sony, Audio Technica... make good products. In a vehicle with several people working nearby, the DT770 and its limited version is my choice. I like sennheiser open series when I'm alone. May be more immersive. If I need to replace my old headphone, I find HD800 attractive

you can find some tests on rting.com website.

robprophoto

PostSat Jun 22, 2024 11:43 pm

Videobegin wrote:Many criteria are involved in the choice:
Repair parts / connectors / matching impedance with amplifier / open, close, foldable type / Are you bothered by outside noises, or will your headphones make neighbours uncomfortable? / pressure on the head / Nature of materials in contact with the ear / sweating, heat / type of music listened to / hearing acuity / etc.

So it can only be a personal choice. AKG, Sennheiser, Sony, Audio Technica... make good products. In a vehicle with several people working nearby, the DT770 and its limited version is my choice. I like sennheiser open series when I'm alone. May be more immersive. If I need to replace my old headphone, I find HD800 attractive

you can find some tests on rting.com website.

My Criteria is most accurate sound. Now I know that is subjective, however I'm looking for a headphone that is not biased... flat. I like the idea of the sennheisers 800 series, but from my experience with senny's they do seem biased in a sennheiser way.

Ok... So for real world video/audio production... would you go for the DT770 Pro higher Ohm model, or a pair of the Sennheiser 800 Series headphones?

Username

PostSun Jun 23, 2024 2:06 am

I have a couple of DT770's.
Both 80 Ohm and 250.

Be aware that the 250 will requite a powerful output/amp to be driven properly.
On weaker systems like laptop or ordinary headphone output, they will sound very pale.

When traveling I use my 80 Ohm but when stationary I route my 250 via a MixPre3 II or a headphone DAC.
The 770 really shines then.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

robprophoto

PostSun Jun 23, 2024 7:10 am

Username wrote:I have a couple of DT770's.
Both 80 Ohm and 250.

Be aware that the 250 will requite a powerful output/amp to be driven properly.
On weaker systems like laptop or ordinary headphone output, they will sound very pale.

When traveling I use my 80 Ohm but when stationary I route my 250 via a MixPre3 II or a headphone DAC.
The 770 really shines then.

Ok I'm definitely leaning towards the closed back dt770 pro 250 ohm.

Now next question recommended DAC and AMP for these bad boys an girls? Thanks in advance.

Also I may have titled my question wrong, but the term "studio headphones" I guess should have been "reference headphones" didn't know there was a difference until today!

Ellory Yu

PostSun Jun 23, 2024 7:27 am

robprophoto wrote:
Now next question recommended DAC and AMP for these bad boys an girls? Thanks in advance.

Also I may have titled my question wrong, but the term "studio headphones" I guess should have been "reference headphones" didn't know there was a difference until today!

I was about to point it out that they’re reference headphones because they’re different as you found out. But that’s okay I think because most of us here probably picked up on it and understood what you’re looking for. So no worries.

As for the DAC AMP, there’s so many out there. I use a Behringer USB Audio interface just because I already owned one way before when and it has a headphone amp that supports up to 600ohms, but brands like FiiO and Fostex makes good DAC amps.

Username

PostSun Jun 23, 2024 7:52 am

I have the Topping MX3s which serves both as DAC and AMP for my small Tangent speakers.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... x3s.42787/
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/topp ... -amplifier

But my Mixpre3 II drive the DT770/250 Ohm better.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

robprophoto

PostSun Jun 23, 2024 8:05 am

Username wrote:I have the Topping MX3s which serves both as DAC and AMP for my small Tangent speakers.

So I have a mixpre 6ii, your telling me I could hook that up to my computer? Power the dt770 in realtime while working footage on the computer? Please tell me how :-) and awesome! That'd sound great. If still think you would want a good DAC coming out of it though.

Another question on this point, because I'm receiving in 32 bit on the mixpre, probably important I watch that up with a dac/amp that can handle 32bit no?

You all are so helpful! Thanks!

Username

PostSun Jun 23, 2024 8:44 am

robprophoto wrote:
Username wrote:I have the Topping MX3s which serves both as DAC and AMP for my small Tangent speakers.

So I have a mixpre 6ii, your telling me I could hook that up to my computer? Power the dt770 in realtime while working footage on the computer? Please tell me how :-) and awesome! That'd sound great. If still think you would want a good DAC coming out of it though.

Another question on this point, because I'm receiving in 32 bit on the mixpre, probably important I watch that up with a dac/amp that can handle 32bit no?

You all are so helpful! Thanks!

You simply plug it in with a USB-C cable.
I is running it through a TB3 powered hub.
Page 33

https://cdn.sounddevices.com/wp-content ... -v9.01.pdf
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Videobegin

PostSun Jun 23, 2024 10:33 am

robprophoto wrote:My Criteria is most accurate sound. Now I know that is subjective, however I'm looking for a headphone that is not biased... flat. I like the idea of the sennheisers 800 series, but from my experience with senny's they do seem biased in a sennheiser way.

Ok... So for real world video/audio production... would you go for the DT770 Pro higher Ohm model, or a pair of the Sennheiser 800 Series headphones?

They are all "biased" already by the design (open or close type, transducers) :lol: DT770 with Stellar.45 can offer more sub-bass then open transducer. But linearity is better with open HD800.
It may also be interesting to target your audience. You may consider headphone giving a sound close to your public listening (headphone for streaming platform, sound bar for tv or speakers for cinema).

physical laws require impedance matching between amplifier and headphone in order to get accurate level and frequency response.

Brad Hurley

PostSun Jun 23, 2024 10:34 am

For DAC, I use the RME ADI-2 FS, which has an excellent headphone amp as well as XLR outs to my monitors, but most importantly to me it has a crossfeed feature that allows it to more accurately mimic the stereo image you get when listening to studio monitors rather than the more typical headphone stereo. If I assume most of my listeners will listen on headphones I'll mix to the headphone image, but I prefer to mix to my monitors and the RME allows me to get closer to my monitors' stereo image. As for headphones, I have the Sennheiser HD600 but when I want a headphone that sounds most like my studio monitors (which are Neumanns) I use the AKG K371; they are the most neutral headphones I've tried.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

robprophoto

PostMon Jun 24, 2024 7:20 pm

Ok, just wanted to update everyone. And first off want to say thank you to all for your recommendations, very helpful and learned a lot!

Here's what I have on order, and please rip it to shreds if you think I should get something else. But only if you can back it up with real world experience and/or tech details.

drum roll (and super excited) on order I have:

Focal Clear Mg Professional Open-back Reference Studio Headphones

paired with:

RME ADI-2 DAC FS 2-channel DA Converter

I don't currently have speakers in my setup where my office currently is (maybe in the future) so almost will never hear the stuff I produce on a legitimate setup, unless I decide to watch listen to it elsewhere... which most likely won't happen lol. So that's what I have on order. If you have a better recommendation, let it rip!

Thanks again everyone.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jun 26, 2024 7:19 am

Rob, that’s a very nice headphones you ordered. Be aware however that it is a studio headphones and not a reference headphones. There is a difference. Studio headphones are terrific for mixing and recording because it has augmented frequency response that are made for excellent entertainment listening while a Reference monitor is suited for monitoring audio for its more neutral sound which can be less prone to inconsistencies in the sound. Although you can use any headphones with Resolve just as you can use any speakers, if your trying to hear the sound as it was recorded, then a reference headphones is it. Now people do mistakenly, and which I am guilty of as well, interchange the word studio and reference when referring to audio headphones. Focal Clear MG Pro is a superbly built Studio headphone and in comparison to Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro is a Reference headphones. You will easily distinguish that the Focal Clear headphones augmented frequencies gives much better sound quality especially for entertainment, wherein the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro is more neutral sound to which each track is heard in its natural or unaltered frequencies.

This is not ripping your decision apart but just stating the difference. Ultimately I am told that to using monitor speakers for monitoring the sound. - which I do, together with a reference monitor for the clean feed visuals. A caveat here - although I have experiences with various headphones and speakers for my setup, I am no sound engineer or expert. This is just my experiences and opinions.

Congratulations to your new gears.

robprophoto

PostWed Jun 26, 2024 7:36 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Rob, that’s a very nice headphones you ordered. Be aware however that it is a studio headphones and not a reference headphones. There is a difference. Studio headphones are terrific for mixing and recording because it has augmented frequency response that are made for excellent entertainment listening while a Reference monitor is suited for monitoring audio for its more neutral sound which can be less prone to inconsistencies in the sound. Although you can use any headphones with Resolve just as you can use any speakers, if your trying to hear the sound as it was recorded, then a reference headphones is it. Now people do mistakenly, and which I am guilty of as well, interchange the word studio and reference when referring to audio headphones. Focal Clear MG Pro is a superbly built Studio headphone and in comparison to Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro is a Reference headphones. You will easily distinguish that the Focal Clear headphones augmented frequencies gives much better sound quality especially for entertainment, wherein the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro is more neutral sound to which each track is heard in its natural or unaltered frequencies.

This is not ripping your decision apart but just stating the difference. Ultimately I am told that to using monitor speakers for monitoring the sound. - which I do, together with a reference monitor for the clean feed visuals. A caveat here - although I have experiences with various headphones and speakers for my setup, I am no sound engineer or expert. This is just my experiences and opinions.

Congratulations to your new gears.

Honestly for the price of the dt770 pro, I'm going to have to buy one and compare side by side now. :-) I can always return either one... Hopefully save 1k$ I know many other things I need to spend it on right now.

Thank you, will do a ear to ear comparison ASAP.

robprophoto

PostFri Jun 28, 2024 6:15 am

One update so far.

Received the DT770 Pro 250 ohm and put it right into action against my Sennheiser HDR175 and my Sennheiser hd280 pro. For a loooooong time I've been using an old dragonfly DAC, probably one of their very first gen ones. I also have a mixpre 6ii at my disposal. So thought I'd try all of these head to head using the dragonfly vs the mixpre headphone out. Heres my thoughts so far.

Duuuude! At first (like first two samples) I super disliked the dt770, then once I put back on the Sennheiser's.... :-0 huge smile came to my face. I grew up always doing Sennheiser's... i don't know maybe my family thought they were the best (grew up in a hifi family).... A) I'm not going back to Sennheiser anymore, sorry.

DT770Pro blew them out of the water. Sennheiser sounded muffled and bassy. ewww.

Between the dragonfly and the mixpre. I like how the dragonfly renders the sound a little better, but it is not powerful enough to properly drive those headphones... and I can tell when the samples have a large dynamic range with bass. So dragonfly is now unplugged... maybe forever from the computer. Mixpre 6II is now plugged in as the new DAC for now.

The DT770 pro is such a good price, it doesn't make any sense not having that as backup headphone, a reference to my reference headphones, and my new location headphone... because my old location headphone was that Sennheiser... and well enough said DT770 pro all the way.

Next Up: I'll be receiving the Focal Clear MG Pro in the mail soon with the RME ADI-2 DAC. I am verrrry curious now from what I discovered... Geeez have I been living under a rock! :-)

I'll go head to head comparison DT770 Pro 250 ohm vs the focal clear mg pro and the mixpre 6ii vs the RME ADI-2 DAC's. :-) If anyone cares to know my opinion, I'll be back to let you know.

So far though on a lower powered headphone i preferred the rendering of the dragonfly over the mixpre 6II, but the mix pre gave the DT770 Pro that more umphh to make her drive. Still NOT great though as it is missing subtleties in the audio that i originally heard with the dragonfly.... So I'm wondering how the RME is going to sound.

I'll keep ya'll posted if you care. ... do you care anymore?

Thanks for the DT770 Pro Rec. Solid headphone and may, just may be my main go to in the studio. Definitely now my go to for location. Though I wish the foam pads were more isolating like the Sennheiser's. I'm sure I could check out some aftermarket pads, but I'll ride with it for at least the next job the way it is for on location.

For the record, I will not be buying a Sennheiser headphone ever again. MKH416 mics, yes, but headphones, no.

Username

PostFri Jun 28, 2024 7:03 am

Happy you liked the 770 and MixPre combination.
They are superb together and you cant really go wrong with them.

A second hand MP3II and 250/DT770 delivers well above the cost - both as stationery DAC/studio recorder as they do in the field or on location!
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

robprophoto

PostTue Jul 02, 2024 6:43 am

Username wrote:Happy you liked the 770 and MixPre combination.
They are superb together and you cant really go wrong with them.

A second hand MP3II and 250/DT770 delivers well above the cost - both as stationery DAC/studio recorder as they do in the field or on location!

Ok Update. DT770 Pro 250ohm played on the DAC I spoke about earlier rendered more tones highs and lows than the Focal headphones and either or played on the mixpre 6II. The DAC is nice. Whether it's the best I don't know, but I just heard missy elliot and some other songs in the video i'm working on like I've never heard them before.

Awesome. Thanks everybody for recommending the DT770Pro 250ohm. Definitely need a good DAC to drive them. My dragonfly couldn't cut it. Mixpre was good, but the RME DAC was that much better.

Happy with the setup, now I just need to return these Focal headphones without getting charged too much. :-0

Videobegin

PostTue Jul 02, 2024 10:49 am

focal have a response problem in high medium.
Many RME products have DC coupled headpohones outputs.
Charging with correct impedance gives the correct/linear frequency response defined by manufacturer.

electronics laws only ;)

robprophoto

PostTue Jul 02, 2024 2:50 pm

In your opinion, is there a better cheaper alternative to the rme preamp? And DAC? To pair with the DT770pro 250 ohm.

Videobegin

PostTue Jul 02, 2024 7:16 pm

it's more of a hifi question than broadcasting. RME is less expensive then Dave ;)
It seems a good ratio technology/price.

ngotek

PostWed Jul 03, 2024 2:05 am

I have several headphone recommendations, I have one headphone that I use myself for editing purposes, I use Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones.

What I like about these headphones is that they have clear sound quality for listening to sound details when I edit sound in editing videos.
Andre Yulianto

Ellory Yu

PostThu Jul 04, 2024 7:29 am

Again, this is my own experience and opinion. I had the Sennheiser HD 650 and I believe they make good headphones, but I will trade them for the DT770 Pro anytime. After using the DT770 Pro, it has been my Resolve audiophile ever since. I do use the Sennheiser and Sony as camera monitors still.

robprophoto

PostThu Jul 04, 2024 7:34 am

Has any directly compared the 770 pro 250ohm vs the 1770 pro 250ohm? I'm tempted to give those a try as well just to compare.

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Jul 04, 2024 8:06 am

Prefer the DT 1990 Pro 250 Ohm with the Analytical pads to the DT 1770 Pro 250 Ohm having moved from DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm. Generally prefer open back to closed.

All models benefit from a fair amount of correction (e.g. Sonarworks SoundID profile in Merging Anubis or DAD AX32 with SPQ card) for a flatter response.
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console 3 Bay ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio Premium VAD ⟧
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.5 (23F79) ⟧

robprophoto

PostFri Jul 12, 2024 6:38 am

I take back everything I just said

Just A/B tested Sennheiser hd820, blew dt1990 out of the water. Also tested them on a much better amp and DAC (separate), blew the rme amp/DAC combo out of the water.

Never have I hear Elton John like that, amazing.

I'll be returning the dt1990 and getting wither the hd800 or hd820 and returning my rme and getting whatever it was I used. :-0 jaw dropped, mind blown! awesome and I think I also just found a new happy place :-)

Return to Off-Topic